Crash Course History: WHAT THE GODWIN


When I first saw this protest sign, I read the beginning half as "It's not good anymore". Then, after I looked back at the photos I took, I realized it said 'Godwin'. [ I have a tendency to snap away on my phone while I'm walking, and when I get back home I look at the protest signs I took photos of - mainly because majority of them are extremely witty & A++ ]

So, what is Godwin?

After researching a bit, I managed to figure out what it meant.


The theory that as an online discussion progresses, it becomes inevitable that someone or something will eventually be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis, regardless of the original topic.

So what does the sign REALLY mean when it says:

It's not
Godwin
Anymore.
It's Really
That Bad.

I understood it as we've gone past the phase of comparisons, because legit Trump is like Hitler's little prodigy in the 21st century.

In his Executive Order on Immigration, he requested that crimes done by immigrants will be made public and highlighted upon. If we backpedal a bit, Hitler actually did the same with Jews with a  paper called - The Criminal Jew.

I personally find myself pushing the breaks a bit like what do you mean with those comparisons calm down we're not there, we're smart not to go that route. But then I also have to remind myself that hey if you keep attempting to convince yourself that so and so is not like a person in the past you're going to wake up one day wondering where the signs were.

_____

~I'm going to go on a slight tangent~

In the beginning of President Trump's presidency I couldn't tell you what was what in government and essentially had the mindset: There's no point of even reading about it because you'll be less informed than the people who know everything. 

I used this as a valid reason not to engage or even think about politics because why would I engage in something that I am not 100% on like everyone else in the political world?  Well, plot-twist, the only way to understand is to start learning.

You can't halt your learning for the mere fact that there are others more advanced than you - strive to be at their level or above it, not remain below.

To actually understand what rights I have via the Constitution I've begun reading & researching and breaking the Amendments down in a series called # WednesdayAmendment. 

The only thing stopping you from learning is you - go and pick up that book & understand the world of politics. Although it may seem daunting, you can't leave the world of politics in your mind as a blank page in a word document -> fill it with words.

~ end of tangent ~
_____


This is effecting our life and lifestyle - this isn't Godwin anymore.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Desmond Tutu




0 comments:

Post a Comment