Dreaming With Your Eyes Open


At the end of August, if you've read my latest post, you'll have known that my sister and I decided to go on a tour of Greece. One thing I was really excited to see was the Ancient Olympic Stadium, however after a lot of maneuvering around the National Garden I ended up being right in front of a stadium I didn't realize existed: The Panethenaic Stadium. There was a massive track, which when I tell you how upset I was that I wasn't in my track clothes to run a few laps I'm not even joking.

Something that I've seen was mentioned in the book Strong: A Runner's Guide to Boosting Confidence and Becoming the Best Version of You by Kara Goucher (which I am still yet to get!) was to speak your dreams to other people. We often keep our dreams close to us as if it were a candle and telling others would blow it out. On this tour, I mentioned to the group - my fun fact was that I like to run - that I was training for the 5000M with an aim to make it to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. They were so interested in hearing about the dedication that I must put to this sport that I love so much and are looking forward to seeing where my running takes me.


It was then that I realized the importance of speaking your dreams to other people. I mention my dream of making it to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics for Team USA in the 5000M often on here - I'm pretty sure my regular readers may get a bit annoyed of me talking about it so often. I also mention it to my family when something is planned for the day, and I have to remind them that I have to get my run in earlier in the day for the plan to work. Because I'm training, the only rest days I take are when I feel my body needs one; that's not to say I run 24/7 until I feel like my body is about to collapse, I schedule 2 rest days in my schedule per week (but more like active rest because I like to walk around and not be a couch potato). I never really mentioned it to anyone outside of those two groups: Blog & Family. So, actually saying it to people in real life made it more real for me. In a way, I guess I have more people to hold me accountable. It made me excited because for once it wasn't just me believing in this dream of mine, it was others looking forward to seeing my dream become a reality.

I did this jumping pose at all major places and I can confirm my arms were extremely sore and about to fall off by the end of the trip

In the beginning, when I mentioned it to my family, it was something they semi-brushed off but I don't think they did it intentionally. My mom is a pretty huge supporter of me, anything is possible is kind of her mantra, that and life is easy, breathe. I mentioned to my sibling that there was another girl who was a runner, like me on this tour. My sibling responded with like you but in a way that's like you're not serious type of way. I know my sibling probably didn't meant to say it like that, or maybe they did, but reiterating my dreams to others on my tour of Greece really solidified my dream in my mind. I was on cloud nine and not even a ~comment~ like that was going to bother me. Well, I guess if it didn't bother me it wouldn't really be an anecdote in this blog post.


This stadium had a place where the King and Queen sat (y'know when there was a Greek Monarchy) which actually looked pretty cool and roomy to sit in. Here's a bit of quick history you probably didn't wonder about but I'm going to tell you about anyway: Did you know that all Olympic Torches & Posters used to promote the Games (Summer and Winter) return to this stadium? Also, the Altar - where the High Priestess lights the Olympic Flame for its journey to the city that organizes the Olympic Game is here, which is below!


Now, a mini spam of the Posters for the Games & Torches through the years:



Here we have London 1948 - I'm really curious on the history on this Torch design because clearly it's who I am as a person to want to know everything about history.



Fast forward London 2012 - what a different look right? It was pretty hard for me to get the photo of the poster & torch hence why I took 2 separate photos!



Canada aka. good ol' friend (well, when a certain president behaves) hosted the Games in 1976 - I really love the classic look of this one. I actually took these photos to show it to a friend of mine but thought I'd include it anyways!



Beijing in 2008! I love how detailed the pattern is on this Torch!



Rio Olympics 2016! I remember watching this abroad and all I'm going to say is Simone Biles. That is all. If you don't know who that is, look up Simone Biles Rio Routine, you'll thank me later!



You thought I was done with the 1900's NOPE- here we have Helsinki, Finland 1952 and can I just say wow. I just love this Torch a lot. It just has that look that makes you do a double take (or maybe that's just me!)

Everywhere I looked there was a bit of history from all over the world on the walls. The Olympics brings countries together and it was interesting to walk through history that is shared with other countries. This is also where I learned that Los Angeles, California hosted the Olympic Games in 1984.




I also wasn't sure I'd see the most the most recent one from the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang but! It was here!



Ok I promise I'm done with my fascination of the Olympic torches through the years I could have stayed there all day, my camera roll has more torches & posters.

_____

That right there in the back is my mom in the future 

I did run on the track in my regular clothes, and I was just so happy & content. I made my sister take a photo of me preparing to run (granted my leg is probably too bent in this photo but I was too excited so forgive me track people that are reading this) and hilariously a guy photobombed my photo. When I looked back at it I thought to myself, this is what I want for my future to be in 2020. I am so excited with the thought that that's going to be my mom one day, cheering me on in Tokyo 2020 if I make the team (please legs love me and move fast for the Olympic Trials xo).

Dreams don't work unless you put in the effort and as I was just coming back from injury, my motivation took some dips and dives but this Stadium brought me back up again. I remind myself that for every workout I do, even the ones that have me contemplating if I should go out in the rain for a run, I get stronger. Every workout makes me stronger and more capable of achieving my dreams. There are days where I think to myself can I do this? Is this in my future? When I catch myself thinking this, which happens a lot more than I'd like to admit, I drain out all the negative thoughts & doubts that enter my mind and replace them with You Dreamt it. You can. You will.

_____

If you are interested in seeing what I got up to in Greece fitness wise - clips of me running on the Panathenaic Stadium, Cliff Jumping off a 32 foot cliff, hiking for amazing views etc. You can check out my latest Youtube Video; if you have the time to watch it, I'd love to know what you think!


_____


What are your dreams & aspirations? Has anyone ever told you you're dreaming too high when you told them?

ps. As I mentioned above, running in the rain is not my ideal running weather. Do any runners know of the best way to prepare? What to wear? How do I make it a comfy run?





18 comments:

  1. This is such an inspiring post! I'm supposed to be doing my first half marathon in about 3 weeks and I don't think my body is ready for it after injuring my hip in May and having to take 2 months off. I haven't fully made up my mind yet but I'm feeling pretty deflated about the situation. I usually keep my dreams in my head, or on my blog but rarely say them aloud so this really got me thinking. It's interesting to see the different torches from over the years too. It sounds like you had a great time x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sophie! Ah I do remember reading (I think it was on twitter/your blog?) that you had a hip injury - I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. I had hip flexor pain for about a month + shin splints the month previous so it's a lot like starting from scratch mile wise after two months of recovery, so I can definitely relate to not knowing if your body is ready for a race in such a short amount of time.

      Maybe jog a bit for the three weeks seeing how your body feels but if you feel you need more time, don't feel bad about not doing this half marathon - it's better to do it when you know your body is ready for it :)

      I usually keep my dreams in my head/on my blog too so this was something new for me. I have to say it's definitely made my dreams more real to me and changed the way I thought of my dreams. Now, I don't think it's something that will stay as ~just a dream~ but it's something that I could accomplish if I put in the work to make it a reality. I would definitely recommend telling at least maybe one of your dreams to a close friend!

      I found the different torches so interesting, I loved all the designs as each one has a very specific vibe (hoping that makes sense haha!).

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting Sophie!

      Delete
  2. This is such a gorgeous post my lovely, you can definitely achieve anything you want my lovely, and I really hope you achieve your dreams!

    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amie - so glad to hear you enjoyed reading it! Fingers crossed all my time I spend training & racing leads to me making Team USA for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! :)

      Delete
  3. This post is super motivating! I've recently gotten into running so it's awesome to see you out there chasing your dreams. Athens looks amazing too, it was interesting to see all the different olympic torches over the years.


    Megan // https://pixieskiesblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So glad to hear you enjoyed reading it :) That's amazing to hear you've recently gotten into running, it's a great sport and really fun to see how much you progress day after day, week after week :)

      I really loved seeing the Olympic Torches over the years, I really wish there was a mini blurb on the background behind each design, they all looked amazing!

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  4. The stadium looks beautiful! Also, I am such a big believer of speaking your dreams, so this was a beautiful read! I hope to see you at the 2020 Olympics!

    Jas xx | https://thoughtsfromjasmine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was amazing, I could have honestly stayed there all day - I ran out of water so had to leave earlier than I wanted to haha. After speaking my dreams on this trip, I can definitely 100% say that I will be speaking my dreams instead of just keeping them in my head / on my blog, it truly made a difference to how I view chasing this dream of mine. It seems more real to me now :)

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting - fingers crossed my time spent training & racing leads to me making Team USA for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! :)

      Delete
  5. This post is so inspirational! Good luck on your dream! My husband and I were in Greece in July and saw the stadium and it was absolutely amazing. Something I'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you, fingers cross the time I spend training & racing leads to me making Team USA for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! :)

      The stadium is truly amazing, there's so much history to see. I especially loved that at the Panathenaic Stadium there was an audio tour where you select the number that you're in front of and you get to hear all about the history.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. I love this post and totally agree that 'dreams don't work unless you pit in the effort'. I totally relate to you not ever verbalising your dreams of running. Despite my blog being no secret, I don't speak about it to people much in real life (unless they bring it up first). There's something a little scary about doing so, because there's so much judgement and fear of not making it and looking like a failure. I totally think that it's great to share dreams with others though because you gain more support and have more motivation to work hard. Although it doesn't sound like you could be working much harder than you already are, so well done!

    Soph - https://sophhearts.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sophie! I am the same way about my blog, I don't really talk about it in person unless a friend of mine happens to mention it. I am trying to be more open about it though because it's like my little pride and joy space on the internet!

      Yes! It definitely helps to share you dreams with other people in real life but then there's the lil doubt in your mind saying what if don't succeed and to that I say, what if you do? And, it's really great to have support, it motivates you even more to accomplish your dreams. So sweet of you to say Sophie, thank you so much for reading and commenting!!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post!! I really admire that you're so passionate about reaching your goals and following your dreams. I absolutely adore Greece and would love nothing more than to travel around it and soak up all the ancient cultural things! I've never been a runner but I am very interested and into exercise when I get into the swing of it. Wishing you so much luck with your dream and i'll be cheering you on, you can do it!
    Alice Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Greece is such a beautiful country, everywhere I looked there was something historical to learn all about; the views there are absolutely incredible! I wish I could have stayed longer just to explore Athens & the islands. Yay, exercise is so much fun; when you enjoy it and get into the swing of it it's the absolute best because you definitely see yourself progressing each day.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting - fingers crossed my time spent training & racing leads to me making Team USA for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much Bexa! Although some days are harder than others to wake up early to get my workout in, once I have my workout gear on, I'm instantly in a better mood and get excited for the workout I planned - I'm really hoping my hours that I spend training & racing lead to me making the team for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, fingers crossed!! :)

    Yay thank you so much, taking the jumping photos & running photo took a lot of trial and error - had to keep making I jumped at the exact moment the photo was taken before realizing it was easier to take a video and screen-cap from there. I didn't realize that the track would be open for the public to run on until I saw it and it just made me so excited, I really wonder if some athletes that live around there use the track for speed workouts - I wouldn't be surprised!

    I loved seeing the torch designs through the years, so happy to hear you found it interesting as well!

    Thank you so much for reading and commenting Bexa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet seeing the Ancient Olympic Stadium was amaaazing, something to tick off your bucket list for sureee! I agree, it is important to talk about your dreams, it makes them more special. I think it is great that you are aiming for the next Olympics! I am sure you will get there, and it will be your mum in the crowd cheering you on, not a photobomber haha! That is so cool that Olympic Torches and posters go back there, makes it even more historical. I loveee the Rio poster the most! So pretty! xx https://lifeofshar.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely something to tick of my bucket list - it was amazing being in the exact place where the first Modern Olympics was held, I half asked my sister to pinch me because I just couldn't believe I was there! It sometimes feels too big of a dream to make it to the Olympics, but! I'm hoping my training will prepare me for the Olympic Trials and the Olympic Games :)

      I didn't know they went back to this stadium until suddenly I was in a torch room with posters and torches haha, it felt like walking inside of a history book seeing how the designs looked in the 1950's compared to the ones from the 2000's. The Rio one was one of my favorites too!! I love the swirls and how it's on a blue background!!

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!! ❤️❤️

      Delete