Patience is Key


A little while ago, I stumbled into a store and saw a really nice comfy hat. Said hat was supposedly on sale- the price was $30 and that is actually the definition of tragic. The hat itself 110/10 NEED in my life - the price on the other hand, even with the sale, had me contemplating if I knew the correct definition of sale

A few minutes later of wandering around, I stumbled into another store that had hats on sale for $7- THAT is sale! Now I took the hat in my hand like yes yes yes hello hat that is already blessing my life. But, alas, I was then convinced not to get the hat because “hijabi’s don’t/can’t wear hats”. [seems like my sombrero all over again]

When I went home that day, I still really wanted the hat and the sale was ending that same day so the only way to still get the sale price was to order it online. Well that idea did not go as planned -so I had another idea [when plan A & B failed you always gotta have a C D E FG etc.!] Why not crochet a hat myself?

 Mind you, I had no crocheting background so this was going to be a challenge teaching myself something by watching probably about 500 youtube videos. So, I ventured out to the craft store and picked some yarn and got to work the next day. 

here we have ma heart and soul on the ground after I was halfway through and realized I messed up the second line by missing a loop.

The process of this hat filled my brain with a lot of these questions: Did I loop this correctly? Did I miss a loop? IS THIS EVEN GOING TO WORK OUT? How is this going to form like a hat @ youtube lady???

Funnily enough, when it came time for finals I was extremely stressed and this hat was right there waiting for me to crochet my stress away. It just made everything loop together, and calm me down, though ironically this hat gave me so much stress but it was a good type of stress (if that’s possible). Numerous times I was undoing the whole thing because I messed up on one part and thus that made everything else wrong. Pulling the loops out and fixing it over and over again- there was lil miss doubt inside of my head telling me to give up, but there was also lil miss optimistic inside my head telling me OH C’MON YOU GOT THIS KEEP GOING.


One month later and here we are with a multicolored hat that’s probably cooler than me. This hat taught me a lot about patience, so much that it had me drinking from a patience mug I made for my mom for Mother’s Day. I learned that hey it’s going to get tough along the way but once you reach that goal it’s going to be worth it- the harder the challenge is the better the success feels. Also, sometimes it’s good to throw yourself out of your comfort zone and try something new. Challenge yourself. Because of deciding to make this hat instead of buying it at the store, I plan to crochet for nonprofit organizations, I just have to find one I’m 110% on.

Along the way of challenging yourself, that lil voice inside your head might be like lol let’s turn back I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS bYE. Here I am to tell you YES YOU CAN DO THIS. YES. YOU. CAN. DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT VOICE. [And suddenly I’m the living embodiment of Barack Obama’s campaign slogan.]

The hat in the store code $7 and the hat I ended up making cost me $10. Yes, 3 dollars extra, but for those three dollars I’ve learned how to crochet, the actual definition of the phrase ‘patience is key', and the importance of challenging myself.

ALSO @ people who think hijabi’s can’t wear hats DO I HAVE SOME NEWS FOR YOU


ps. If you yourself would like to take the challenge of crocheting yourself a hat- here's the video I used HERE. In the video she went from
yarn + rib = ribbed hat effect
but all I wanted was the hat effect as in
yarn = hat
so I didn't do the 'ribbed' effect she was talking about and just went my own way

Also some other helpful links:


Never miss a post via twitter HERE
Never miss a post via Instagram HERE
your personal desert in motion HERE
give my blog some lovin' HERE


10 comments:

  1. Loved this post!! Would never have thought you had made it, it's amazing!!
    Kate xx
    http://luxekate.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It took some time but finally here we finally have a hat keeping me warm in the winter! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this blog post! Seriously, well done you, it looks amazing!
    www.yasminanicole.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so happy with how it turned out :)

      Delete
  3. Your hat looks AMAZINGGG - I want one! I enjoyed this post lots (:

    Ashlee | ashleemoyo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH thank you so much!! You should definitely try your hand at crochet literally the sense of accomplishment you'll feel after it's done I 110/10 recommend! Thanks so much for reading! :)

      Delete
  4. Check you out! You done such a good job, would never have thought you made that hat yourself. Well done!

    Sabah || www.womanishaffairs.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Funnily enough, the hat I made & the hat that I saw for $30 don't look all that different!

      Delete
  5. That hat looks absolutely brilliant on you and I loved reading about the motivation behind its creation! Patience really did pay off for you and I imagine its benefitted you much more than just buying the sale hat :)

    Pandora xo
    http://curiouslilpandora.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you so much! It really did benefit me! I'm hoping to crochet for nonprofit organizations and I wouldn't be able to do that if I didn't take the route of making the hat myself :)

      Delete