Staying Safe As A Solo Runner


About a week before Ramadan, I was participating in a #RunChat while simultaneously submitting an assignment with my sister at 11:59PM for our Database Systems course that included an E-commerce website with multiple view points. So my mind was half in running mode and half pls-this-coding-assignment-better-not-play-with-me-and-better-work-the-way-it's-supposed-to.

During this #RunChat, RoadiD was partnering and at the end RunChat would choose 2 winners to be gifted with a Roadid as long as you answer the questions they ask with the hashtag #RunChat. Once I submitted my sister and I's Database Systems assignment, I received a notification over on Twitter that I was one of the winners!

What is ROADiD?
RoadiD ensures that you're safe on the road. It's essentially a little stainless steel faceplate with your information on it in the event that if something happens to you (FAM WE AREN'T DR. STRANGE WE CAN'T SEE THE FUTURE) then whoever is nearby will know exactly who to call. Well, obviously 911 but also they can look at your RoadiD and call the family member's number you have engraved on it.

RoadiD actually began when one of the founder's went out for a run, ended up getting hit by a truck, and ended up in a ditch. That's when this idea of always having an ID on the Road came alive (See what they did there?). As a solo runner myself I'm pretty sure my mom always worries about me, she often calls me as I'm on the track or running on the road just to check up on me and see that I'm okay.


Which RoadiD did I get?
I got the wrist Elite, pin-tuck (I have a small wrist so I asked how many holes there were just to be sure it wouldn't slide right off me! Pin-tuck is the way to go if you also have a small wrist!) with a Rose Gold faceplate and blue band.


HOW DOES IT FEEL ON THE WRIST: 1 Mile Run in 71°F | 21°C

For this short run, I pined it to the 3rd hole and ran at a 8:12 pacing and finished the mile itself in 8:08. It felt really nice and light weight - nearly forgot it was there! In terms of sweat build up, since it was a cool 71°F | 21°C there wasn't any sweat build up underneath the band.

HOW DOES IT FEEL ON THE WRIST: 1 Mile Run in 90°F | 32°C

For this run, I also pined it at the 3rd hole and unlike the previous run, there was sweat build up underneath the band. This gave me a cue I needed to put it on a little looser instead of kind of having it hug my wrist like an extra layer of skin I don't need. I ran this short run with a pacing of 8:37 and finished the mile itself in 8:34.



HOW DOES IT FEEL ON THE WRIST: 2 Mile Run in 80°F | 26°C

Learning from my previous run, I pinned it at the 4th hole to allow my wrist to breathe a bit more as I ran. And this was a success! No sweat build up! I was building up my endurance after not running for a while so my pacing was 9:12 and I finished the two miles in 18:25.



HOW DOES IT FEEL ON THE WRIST: 200M | 400M | 600M in 63°F | 17°C

This was a surprisingly cool day and as a result, even though I was going fast through my sprints, there was no sweat build up as I pinned it at the 4th hole. At the 4th hole it's lose enough to allow my wrist to breathe and not allow sweat to build up but also secure enough for it not to slide right off my wrist.

For transparency here's the list of my workout that day:



2 X 200M (mile pace)

800M split up:
600M at 5K pace
200M at mile pace

400M at 5K pace

800M split up:
600M at 5K pace
200M at mile pace

400M at 5K pace

me being very confused on how I should be posing for this photo aka me in my natural habitat

MY VERDICT ON THE ROADiD: It's extremely light weight and you don't really feel it as you're running (as long as you pin it at the right hole, there won't be sweat build up).  I 10/10 recommend solo runners, even group runners, cyclists, sport-human-whatever-sport-you-do to take a look into getting one - it's great to have all your information at easy access in the event that something happens to you someone will be able to contact your family member.

Not feeling something to add on your wrist? 
They also have Necklace Id's, Shoe/Ankle Id's, and Sidekick Id's (to put on your apple watch!).

Have a four legged running friend?
They also have Pet Id's!

Have a little kid that also loves to run?
They have Kid Id's too!

I'm covering contact info by the way!

I like to think that my mom feels a little bit better knowing that I have this form of ID on me all times while I'm running, even when I'm not running it's just something I toss on my wrist out of habit! On my RoadId, which I've covered the numbers of my family members of course, I also included a quote. On their website, some people also include Bible Quotes, any quote that you want you can put it on! There's a limit of 26 characters per line though so! choose that quote wisely!

Have you ever heard of RoadiD? Do you exercise often?

p.s: I wasn't paid to write this or anything like that, I just won the giveaway and felt like doing a review on it!



30 comments:

  1. These are such a great idea! And a great way to be totally prepared in the event that something might happen. I love that they have pet ones too! Also... HOW do you run in 30 degree heat?! I can’t move in that heat!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I heard of them & the story I thought it was a great way to stay safe on the roads! I love that they thought of pets too! I see some people run with their dogs so it was a great idea on their end to include one for pets. HAHAHAHA the humidity wasn't the best that day & I definitely felt the mile in that heat - it was a challenge!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a runner myself but what an amazing idea! Staying safe is so important and I know that a lot of people like to run early in the mornings when there aren't many people around.
    Sophie - https://sophiehearts.net x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly! I know of a lot of people who run in the morning & having a RoadiD would definitely make those runs a bit more safer just in case anything happens - it's always great to take precautions! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  3. This is such an amazing product, it looks to me just like a Fitbit and I barely notice that on my wrist when I'm doing sport as hate to 'know' I have something on me if that makes sense? My Mum worries the same about me, it's a Mum thing for definite but this is such an easy way to stay safe and it definitely doesn't look like it will fall off if it can withstand all your runs in that heat too!

    I may have to look into these a bit more, thank you so much for sharing and I am definitely going to be following you to follow along on your Tokyo 2020 dream! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing is that the plate itself can even be added to your fitbit instead of it being a separate entity on your wrist. I totally get what you mean! If I'm moving around and jogging, the feeling of even a watch on my wrist bothers me, but thankfully this is extremely light weight and I sometimes forget I'm even wearing it.

      Definitely a mom thing - my mom calls me a handful of times even if I've just left the house for a run, I'd get a call 5 minutes later to check up on me & see how long I'll be haha - I like to think always having this ID on me makes her feel a bit better as I go out running!

      YAY thank you so much, that's so sweet of you!! Hope you enjoy reading along on my journey to Tokyo 2020! ❤️

      Delete
  4. I haven’t heard of this brand but what a great idea! I’ve just taken up running so I’m always on the lookout for things which will make it more enjoyable and safer. Will definitely check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I heard of them after I won the giveaway I was surprised I hadn't heard of them sooner! It's a great way to stay safe on the roads. YAY new runner! It's a great sport, just make sure not to run a handful of miles at the start, slowly build your endurance :) Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  5. This sounds amazing! I live in a town where the average age of the people who live here is about 70 so I never feel unsafe when I run, but I do usually run at night and this sounds like a great thing just to have in case something bad did happen. I'm going to look into this a little further! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually amazing to hear - always great to run in a safe neighborhood. By me, it's also pretty safe, especially on the track, it's usually a variety of young and old on there! At night, I'd definitely recommend looking into getting a RoadiD - they're really lightweight when you run & will make you feel a bit more safe as you run at night :)

      Delete
  6. That's the most amazing part - it's really lightweight so it doesn't give you any discomfort while you're running. Just have to make sure that it's not on too tight on your wrist if it's a bit sunnier than usual so that way there isn't any sweat build up! So if you were to wear it normally on three holes, on the really hot/humid days I definitely would recommend wearing it on the forth hole!

    That was actually my favorite part of them - they thought of everyone including pets! Thank you so much for reading and for commenting! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic idea!! I’ve not heard of this before so thank you for opening my eyes. I’m not the biggest runner there is but I do run sometimes so I’ll be giving this a lot of consideration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! It's a great way to stay safe on the roads/anywhere really! Although it was made in mind for athletes in motion, I occasionally wear it when I'm not out running. Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  8. I think you’re just fabulous. I get exhausted just walking in the heat, can’t imagine how I’ll be if I had to run! But I think that it is such a great device not only for runners but for everyone essentially - I hope your mum is able to relax a little now :)

    Soffy // themumaffairs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW so sweet of you to say, thank you!! It can get even more tiring running in the heat, especially since attempting to run at my normal pace is twice as hard in the heat - but! that's what training is for - to train for any temperature on race day :)

      I completely agree! Although it was made for athletes in motion, I find myself wearing it even when I'm not working out. Even when not exercising, it's a great way to stay safe at all times!

      I like to think she's more relaxed as I go running now - thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  9. This sound like such a great idea, thank you for sharing this with us. I go running most days and I will definitely keep this in mind!

    Alys / alysgeorge.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading - it's a great way to stay safe on the roads as a runner!

      Delete
  10. This sounds like such a good product and one I would never have thought of getting! I'm hoping to go running more now that I've broken up for summer from uni and this seems like such a good product for a better experience!

    http://www.whatevawears.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish someone introduced this to me earlier in my running life, so thankful to have been introduced to it through twitter! YAY, I'm so happy and excited for you to go running now that you have some time on your hands- it's a great way to stay safe on the roads as a runner! Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed reading your post! I've always been curious, what do the numbers for the pace mean? I have never found someone who could explain it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading!

      And when I write - I had 8:17 pacing for this mile
      I mean: For the mile, from the start to end, that's the average time it took for me to complete the mile itself.

      For example, if I started a mile going slow - 9:50 pacing
      That means the speed of which I am running would result in me finishing the mile in 9 minutes and 50 seconds.

      Now, to add more to that, say in the middle I started to run a bit faster at 8:50 pacing
      And then I finished running the mile itself in 10 minutes.

      My Average Pacing would be 9 minutes & 50 seconds + 8 minutes & 50 seconds/2 - which equals 9 minutes.

      So for that mile I would have ran at 9:00 Average Pacing and completed the mile in 10 minutes total.

      Does this make sense? If not I'm more than happy to help you understand it better!

      Delete
  12. It's so important to be safe where ever you go and whatever you do. ROADiD sounds like a really good tech that promoted all of the goodness. I like that it looks very minimal and doesn't take up a lot of real estate. Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is incredibly important to stay safe wherever you go. RoadiD is a great way to stay safe as you're exercising, and to ensure that if something were to happen, those around would be able to alert family members instantly.

      That's actually my favorite thing about this RoadiD - it's very minimal and it's not something so large on the wrist, just nice and light as you exercise!

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  13. This is such a good idea! When I used to go running (I'm too lazy at the moment hahaha), my parents used to worry about me going out by myself and, as young women, we are prone to catcalls and predators on the streets plus - as you said - we are certainly not Dr Strange so anything can happen! Your running wear is so on point - blue is my favourite colour!

    Meg x | the-writeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's a great way for athletes (solo/group) to stay safe. HAHA, maybe you'll get some motivation to get back into it, never say never! And yes precisely! Sadly, we are more prone to catcalls and predators on the streets so taking extra precaution is a good thing.

      I actually don't wear headphones for two reasons:

      1. It didn't help with my running form, I ended up slouching a bit and didn't bring my leg up high enough, so I needed to focus.

      2. To pay attention and hear everything around me.

      And thank you!! Blue just really calls my name haha, just had to get it the color of the ROADiD band as well to match my sneakers and my usual running outfit!

      Delete
  14. okay so I never run and I am not planning on going running so I will never need this but this is such an amazing idea!! so cute that they do them for little doggos too! I love the "confused" selfie haha! Love the sporty outfit you look great!! xx
    https://lifeofshar.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHA this comment just made me laugh. It is an amazing idea - huge thanks to the founders for thinking of a way for athletes to stay safe on the road (whether that be running/whichever sport others do to keep active). I actually loved that they thought to make one for dogs as well, I always see so many people run with their dogs!

      And thank you!! I'm usually confused on how to actually pose for photos haha - and thank you so much for the compliment!

      Delete
    2. yeah exactly and me too, If i did run, I think it would be with a dog! And me too girl I never know how to pose! and it's okay! x
      https://lifeofshar.co.uk/

      Delete
  15. This inventor is a genius! Everyone needs this gadget, not just runners. I hope you enjoy your running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! It's a great way for runners and for everyone who doesn't do sports to stay safe and always have their information readily available in the event that something happens and people need to know who to call.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete