Is TopResume Worth It?

sahara holding purple colored laptop with stickers 'women who code', 'brunch.code.repeat', 'built by girls', and 'educate a girl change the world'

About a month ago, I decided to give TopResume a try. I kept getting emails from them after uploading my resume to Glassdoor when I applied to a role on there months ago. For reference, this was prior to my ZipRecruiter Misuse post where I dissected terms and agreements of all popular job board sites. They have some sort of deal with Glassdoor when someone uploads their resume to apply for a role, you can opt to have your resume looked at by them for free. After you let them look at your resume for free, they keep emailing you. Constantly.

At this point, I did get call backs but they never went anywhere, so I gave TopResume a try.


You'd think my soul left my body when the $149 went out of my bank account. I was just scared - was it going to be worth it? Based on their reviews, they were top tier a blessing for job seekers. But then again, websites that offer a service to job seekers usually make it sound like they are the light at the end of the tunnel. My neighbor talked highly of them - I'm not sure she ever used them, but it just felt like I was going nowhere with what I had so I had no other option but to have a professional resume writer to take a look.

So, what package did I get?


The cheapest one - I paid for the Professional Growth and Resume Writing Package for $149. Except, here's some quality tea: Remember how I said they kept emailing me after that ~free~ viewing of my resume? Yep, so here's the funny part. They sent an email saying with a specific link sent to my email there was a sale on the package with $179 crossed out and $149 as the new price. So, I purchased it and then 3 hours later as my parents were asking about the price, I was going to show my parents the price crossed out and the price I paid only now that I clicked the link the discounted price was $139. The very same link I clicked on 3 hours earlier had a $10 cheaper price after I used it to purchase.

I emailed their customer support about the issue, they were no help on there.


I even sent a video recording of me clicking the link from my email  - the regular price now on the website was $149 rather than $179,  and the discounted price when I clicked my link was $139. Their customer support via email kept saying essentially too bad, not our problem. So I called the next day, explained to the person on the phone what happened, she saw the email thread as well, and agreed that I have to be refunded because the discount came after I purchased via the link a few hours earlier. The opposite of how a discount link should work.

What did the service offer?


A professional resume writer in your field to look at your current resume and basically give it a makeover content wise. You go back and forth with the resume writer for 7 days only - in those 7 days the back and forth edits only stop once you say you are satisfied with the resume.

How was the service, honestly?


In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend them unless you yourself are an english native and personally know a wrong sentence structure when you see one. Also, if you read a lot that's also a plus because sometimes the resume writer used words wrong.

I don't think that it's a professional resume writer in your field, that bit - from my experience - couldn't have been further from the truth.

My first revision - I sent in my one page resume - came back to me in the form of 2 pages with the following:

  • Chunks of keywords thrown in with no sentence structure
  • Incomplete sentences that didn't read well
  • A massive paragraph (if we even want to call it that - it was just a lot of keywords thrown in with no periods) at the start of my resume
  • My name and title in my profession were centered awkwardly in a way that didn't visibly make sense
  • My technical abilities (the coding languages and frameworks I know) was all the way at the bottom
  • She eliminated my Personal Interests section which lists my blog and the fact that I am a USATF Track Athlete; 5000M.

Overall the format didn't make sense, and it was just too much on the eyes - there was no whitespace! I get why she wanted to put as many keywords as possible so that companies that use artificial intelligence to screen through resumes won't put me in the No Pile but just chucking in keywords isn't the answer.

You can kind of think of it when using keywords in your blog post: Google will notice what you're doing if you keep using your keywords to get a better ranking on google, so you have to use them smartly throughout your post.

That's the mindset that you should have with your resume:  You can flurry in all the keywords you want but make it make sense. Don't start getting generous and sprinkle your keywords all over your resume like you're Rupert Grint* handing out free ice cream. If Google's algorithm is smart enough to know what you're doing when you keep using keywords to get a higher ranking on Google, don't you think the algorithm the company uses to screen through the resume is too?


_____

* Actor who plays Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter Series. 

_____

I will be getting back to the importance on the Personal Interests section in a future post, but I will say this: Keep This On Your Resume! Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. I have some stories that I'm going to get into in a future post of 'mentors' degrading my interests and equating listing my blog and being a USATF Track Athlete on my resume to writing 'I like Ketchup'.

I let the resume writer know I was dissatisfied with this edition and essentially wrote a whole 6 paragraph essay picking apart what was wrong with it. I guess you can say I became an english teacher for these 7 days, I had to explain proper sentence structure format, provide alternative words due to words they used weren't used correctly, and also edit a lot of sentences entirely. I didn't want to be rude picking it apart, but I was also paying for this service. $139 to be exact.

It's a two way street between you and the TopResume Writer.


You give the resume writer feedback and they make the changes to get that much closer to the resume that you are going to be satisfied with. You can't say you don't like the revision and not explain what it is that you are dissatisfied with. There were some occasions where the way she edited a section - compared to my resume I sent in - it sounded too simplified technical-wise and I would redirect her to my resume I sent in and the technical language I used.

As we kept revising it, the amount of things I pointed out became less and less; we worked together bouncing back and forth via email on what changes to make. Each resume revision was sent in a Word Document, so you can easily edit it on Google Docs once they send it through!

Tip for Resume Writing: ADD COLOR. Do you know how boring it is to look at a document with no color at all, all resumes just start to look the same (if a person is looking through them not Artificial Intelligence). Change your name, and heading for each section to a neutral color. I chose a dark-ish blue - not sky blue but also not navy, kind of like jeans colored?

In terms of the sentence structure, did that ever get better?


Not really. I had to really dissect each sentence and line to make sure that the structure made sense and it wasn't just random words thrown together to make it look intelligent when in actuality it made no sense. I mentioned this earlier but I read a lot, and obviously as a blogger write a lot, so I was well aware of an incorrectly structured sentence when I saw one. If English is not your first language, or you are not fluent in it, RUN.

How would I rate the service?


⭐⭐☆☆☆ 

2 out of 5 Stars

In the end I did end up with a resume I was satisfied with but the process was a lot of me pointing out my industry's standard as if she wasn't a professional in my field as advertised on the TopResume website. I am rating the process, not the final product.

Everything is now written better than what I had previously, and as for call backs has it changed? Well, in some ways its the same, but in other ways it's not. I attended an interview last week and the person interviewing me said he took one look at my resume and knew he had to see me, so I will say that the changes made were most definitely needed for my resume.

According to their terms and conditions they say that if you don't get an increase in calls in two months or so then you can tell them that and they will go through the whole resume revision process again, free of charge.

This 2 out of 5 star rating is mainly because for the reasons I listed above:
  • The resume writer wasn't a professional in my field as advertised.
  • Sentence structure was poor until I had to continuously point it out and offer alternatives.
  • The format of the resume was all wrong in the beginning.
The only reason we ended up on a resume format that was satisfactory was because I did my own research on resumes in my field to get some inspiration and edited the resume writer's sentences to actually be complete sentences- it was clear I needed to pull more weight in this revision than I originally thought.

Okay so where should you go if your resume is in need of a glow up?


Luckily for you - and unluckily for me - I came across this tweet a few days ago detailing websites that offer free resume revisions - Free Resume Help List + some extra stuff tweet!

Have you recently fixed up your resume? Would you give TopResume a try?


51 comments:

  1. These are some really good tips to build a decent resume! Also the tools of free resume builders are incredibly useful, I do agree though that the service doesn’t really reflect the price you paid for it. Great post x

    bumblingalong.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear the tips were helpful! Job searching feels like a maze without an ending and there are a lot of gimmicks or people trying to get job seekers to pay X amount to get to that ~light at the end of the tunnel~.

      Free resume builders are super helpful, a great guide on laying out the resume and getting steps closer to the final resume to send out for jobs. In this case, definitely didn't reflect the price I paid, so hoping to help anyone avoid going to them for their resume as they market their services well, but don't live up to their promises they say in their package deals.

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. I am glad to know that they are not worth it! Thanks so much for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep steer clear from them! Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  3. This was so interesting. I've never heard of this service but that sounds so poor for a not so cheap service. I think it's awful that you need to edit their sentences and grammar. At the end of the day, that's what a lot of people need help with, especially if their skills are more technical. I would definitely avoid them in the future. I'm glad the final product was something you were happy with! I hope it brings in some results for you x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would not recommend them at all - especially as they market their services as one thing when the reality of it is far from it. From the moment I got my first received my first resume revision I was like ohkay this is not what I was sold this service as being and I need to do a lot more from my end - everything from grammar to sentence structure needed massive saving.

      And yes! Like by giving it to a professional resume writer, you'd think they'd revise it grammatically and semantically correct but that sadly wasn't the case with them - they market their services well, but the service itself doesn't match the way their market it as.

      Thankfully with me pulling a lot more weight than I thought I would be - I felt like I was an english 101 professor editing an essay every time the revisions of my resume came through to me, I always had paragraphs of critique and edits to be made - the final resume in all its shining glory was the one that got me to my light at the end the tunnel :)

      Delete
  4. OMG - $139/$149 is so expensive for this type of service. I would have been so upset if they did not honor the additional $10 off, too! I'm glad when you called that someone made it right. I had a similar experience occur with Grammarly where I missed out on a deal by a few hours and requested to honor the deal, but CS would not allow it. So instead of gaining a new customer they lost a sale!

    Second, I am in disbelief that they could charge such a high price when their staff are not equipped to (1) give you advice in your field, as advertised and (2) that they were sending you suggestions written with incorrect grammar.

    I'm glad that this worked out for you in the end and that the resume ended up being much stronger when you paired some of their advice with your own writing skills.

    Also, I totally agree with you that interests do add a special touch to any resume because they provide a natural way for you to connect with the person reviewing your resume or interviewing you!

    Wishing you all the best as you use your revised resume to seek out new roles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES - it was like my soul left my body when the price amount left my bank account, I was like three fingers Mockingjay saluting it out of my account. The email exchange of trying to get them to honor it was just not the best, but thankfully when calling the person on the phone they were finally able to see that they were in the wrong and I should be refunded.

      AH REALLY! Grammarly really missed out on a customer/sale, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!!

      Those were the two things that no matter how hard I spun it: Based on how they marketed their services, the actual service was practically the exact opposite. From not having someone in my field looking at my resume and revising it - I had to point out my own industries standards! - and incorrect sentence structure and grammar, I really sat here wondering how on earth they had such ~glowing~ reviews everywhere I looked.

      Thankfully on my end I was able to notice the incorrect grammar and poor sentence structures due to being a native english speaker, reading a lot, and schooling too (I had a creative writing teacher who was super tough, but in the end I learnt a lot from her sentence structure wise and she also grammatically improved my the way I wrote by a lot in my high school years. She really helped me excel in my college english courses!) - if I did not have those three in my back pocket, this resume would have been a train-wreck before I even sent it out, it was like the definition of a catastrophe before I paired it with my own revisions on top of the resume writer's revisions.

      One thing I will always be saying from the rooftops - keep your personal interest section on your resume! This section is so so important, we're more than our chosen field, and it's a great way for potential employers to get the full picture of who we are.

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  5. I'd be so upset if I paid that amount of money for something and then went back and it was cheaper on the same link. It's a bit of a joke that the customer services didn't do very much to help you and even worse that you didn't feel like the service that they offered was any good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't even a full day of when I purchased vs when I looked back to show my parents the price - it as within hours of each other! The email communication with the customer service was very much like not-my-problem which was frustrating - thankfully when speaking with someone new on the phone, they were able to see they were in the wrong.

      Yep - service was not the top tier blessing it sold itself as for job seekers, hoping my review helps people to steer clear from them!

      Delete
  6. Wow! The experience you had sounds crazy. You shouldn’t need to pay so much to correct other people’s grammar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rollercoaster, definitely was not what I was expecting from a ~professional~ resume writing service, that's for sure! That was basically what I was doing - spent $139 only to be the one to take the role of english 101 professor editing what they kept sending as their 'revised version of my resume'.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like such a good service but it's a shame that there were so many things which just didn't match up to the price point and advertising. I'm so glad that you really went in on this post and told us all the details because I'm sure it will be very helpful for anyone who may be considering it in the future and lets them know what it was like. It's quite ridiculous about the whole discount issue and that noone was able to sort that out for you! Thanks for sharing as always Sahara, looking forward to more informative posts in the future xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was marketed as a great service, and if it was what they promised it would have been a top tier blessing - who wouldn't want someone from their field to be taking a look at their resume and giving them pointers on what to keep/how to write something more eloquently!

      I'm hoping my review helps to steer people away from using them, when I was looking up things about them everything was a glowing review for them which was super confusing to me, but then again all things I saw was in partnership with them - they're definitely not what they market themselves as, thank you so much for reading!!

      Delete
  8. I think based on your review I definitely wouldn't try the service because although I am a native English speaker, I have terrible grammar and that would be what I would need help in. I can't believe they charged you so much and didn't deliver on having an expert in your field help you - feels a bit like misselling? However, this post has definitely reminded me that I need to redo my resume as it's been quite a while since I last made edits or revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I was able to help you make your decision to steer clear from them, they really did market themselves so well, I didn't think that I'd have to be editing grammar for them as that itself is super difficult to get just right - wish I had an english teacher on standby! YES - the price point and what I got in return for it, actual shambles it was a complete miss-selling because the person wasn't in my field at all. I had to tell them my field's standards because they didn't know them!

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  9. Crikey, that is a LOT of money for what seems like a pretty poor service. I'm surprised you'd heard such good reviews? I sounds like you could probably have written just as good of a resume (if not better) yourself, based on how articulate you are in your blog posts! x

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even joking when I say my soul metaphorically left my body once the money came out of my bank account for the service, like I'm all for paying for a service BUT for a service that was the exact opposite than what they promised it was like my definition of a resume nightmare.

      HAHA, thank you so much for the compliment Jenny!!!! When I finished dissecting each resume revision I was sent I really sat there wondering did I really pay $139 to dissect/revise *my own* resume - thank you so much for reading, Jenny!

      Delete
  10. I love the honest feel of your experience here, even if it was not as good as it was advertised. At the end of the day, we all reach a point where we need help and, even if you had to do more then you expected, at least you came away with a resume you are currently satisfied with.
    It is always a shame when the 'professional's' charge a lot and turn out to know even less then you in a specific field. Thanks for including a link for free services! I know it will give others a hand up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jaya! I really wanted to be honest with the experience I had, especially since when I was searching for reviews for them when I was thinking of using them every review was associated with them, no independent person writing the review so it was super we-are-the-best-come-to-us.

      Yep - at the end of the day, I got what I got and I had to pull in a lot of weight to get my resume to where it is now, without me putting my extra effort in it would have all been a waste, so at least after this journey of my putting a lot more weight than initially anticipated, I was able to get to a resume that I was satisfied with.

      100% agree - it really is a shame when 'professionals' charge a lot and don't live up to the package they sold themselves as - hope I helped at least one person avoid using them for resume help, and helped some people find some free alternatives for resume help!

      Thank you so much for reading, Jaya!

      Delete
  11. I’m glad that you made a post like this. I got an email from a cv company that offered to check over my cv for free. And I felt like it was super negative to the point that it felt like a selling tactic. It just deflated my self esteem. So I decided to just leave it to luck with my cv. Great post thank you for sharing your experience! ✨

    Lia

    www.insidethethoughtsoflia.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That was similar to how the ~free viewing~ of the resume when submitting through glassdoor was - super negative overall so it made it feel as though I *needed* them because what I currently had wasn't good enough - it's so frustrating because it is a selling tactic, and it's done so well because as job seekers we are trying to make sure our resume is perfect and if a service tells us that it's anything less than that, we automatically feel inclined to pay for their service to help save our resume even if our resume was actually fine to begin with.

      Thank you so much for sharing your own experience of a cv company, seems they all have same tactic with their free viewing, and for reading my post!

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a really awful experience. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that.
    I was instantly skeptical just from reading your title. Those services sound sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was not the best experience, I would never recommend anyone to get their resume reviewed by them, complete opposite of what they market their services as.

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  13. I'm actually re-doing my resume right now so this post was perfect to come across! I'm always super suspicious of resume services and now I know not to go with Top Resume, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah so this post came right in time for you!! 100% you are right to be suspicious of resume services, they all market themselves as the light at the end of the tunnel to job seekers, so it's a bit bumpy ride trying to figure out what to use to help vs what will actually bring results, wishing you the best of luck on your resume revisions! You got this!

      Delete
  14. glad you wrote this review to let others know the cons for this company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! All reviews I came across for this company when I was doing my research for them was associated with them in some way, and as a result were glowing reviews, and no independent person writing a review! So I'm hoping my review helps people steer clear from them!

      Delete
  15. This sounds like an awful experience! I am sorry you paid all that money and didn't have a good experience. I am glad in the end you got a resume that you were happy with, have you had any success with your new resume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an awful experience, I would not recommend them as a service to any job seeker out there. It's frustrating I had to pay so much for it, but if my post helps one person steer clear then I'm glad - I'd rather save everyone else from spending $139 for a service that essentially you are editing your own resume "professional's" revisions due to poor sentence structure and grammar.

      In the end - yes! I had success with it - but that success would not have happened if I did not continuously point out the errors in grammar, sentence semantics, and dissect the revisions from the resume writer as if I were the resume writing professional. If I had left my resume only in the hands of the resume writing professional who was supposedly 'in my field', and did no work on it revising from my end and pointing out the grammar mistakes and wrong use of words, I can honestly say I would not have the job I do now. I even had to point out my industry's standards for resumes for them as well.

      Delete
  16. I never used a service like that before and I feel like one day I will. I think there are better ones than this. I'm sorry you had to spend a lot of money to get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like if they delivered exactly how they marketed themselves as that would have been top tier blessing of a service! But sadly, they fell short on their promises - I am unsure on others services like this out there but definitely recommend doing thorough research to save yourself from spending X amount - try to find reviews that aren't associated with the company - and essentially having to do everything on your own due to them advertising one thing, but delivering something completely different.

      Delete
  17. Thank God I now know that it doesn't worth the time! It seems to be a very bad experience! Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Allurerage
    Rampdiary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help you steer clear from them, definitely not worth your time to use them to review your resume!

      Delete
  18. I have been so tempted to use their service. I'm under a time constraint in finding a new job. I can't really afford their serrrvice given the exchange rate.

    Thank you for your research! And the link at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GLAD I CAME RIGHT IN TIME TO HELP YOU DECIDE NOT TO USE THEM! Literally I am so happy to see that I saved someone $100+ - definitely not worth your time. I hope the link I provide with free resources for resume writing at the end helped you out!!! Wishing you the best of luck, you got this!!

      Delete
  19. It is great that there are so many different services out there to help you find jobs and prepare for interviews from your computer. Oh man, the initiation price is expensive but as long as they do the job right, it's worth it. It is great that you got a discount. Though, it was a bummer that the service wasn't all that great. At least you now have experience with them and know firsthand. I usually give a free service once a year on reviewing resumes for college students.

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great that these services exist, 100% - in this particular instance, I wish that the service delivered what they claimed they would on their website. It is an expensive investment for a resume - especially for job seekers who are looking for employment who are permanently in saving mode.

      The only good part in this is that since I've experienced this first hand, with my review I can help others avoid them and alternatively run for the hills. At the time when I was researching prior to using them, all reviews were affiliated with them - there wasn't any independent reviewer no matter how many different keywords I typed in google. So I hope I can help others in steering clear from them!

      Delete
  20. It's so annoying that the service didn't live up to what was advertised, especially at such a price! It's definitely been a while since I've looked at my resume as I'm self-employed and a creative so it's more word of mouth or showing what I can do physically. I'm sure I'll have to put together one at some point in the future, though so I'll definitely be checking out the free sites!
    Alice Xx
    www.blacktulipbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was so disappointing! Especially with such a high price to pay, the service I got was the complete opposite of how they marketed it as. I think that's really the best way - showing portfolio wise your skills rather than employers filtering out based on how a resume is worded.

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  21. Wow. A lot has changed out there hahaha. I've been using the same template (a friend of mine paid for a professional to create hers more than 10 years ago now) that my friend gave me. Granted I have been employed for a good 5+ years now so it is interesting to see and hear so much about resume presentation and details. I wonder if my "old school" version still cuts it? Either way I don't think I'd be ok with paying for this, especially the amount you paid! That seems very $$$ and for what you got, it's a real shame.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing that your friend was able to share the template she used for her resume, 10/10 sounds like a friend for life! Currently the resume is the make or break it for job seekers - down to how it's worded to make it seem ~inviting~ and how it's laid out so it's not too heavy on the eyes. It's a frustrating reality that doesn't really look at skill - just if you fit the cookie cutter type of resume they have in mind.

      Hope by sharing my review of the service it helps people steer clear from them - especially saving job seekers $100+, as a job seeker I was in constant saving mode so to have to pay that AND not get what I paid for was the definition of a tragedy - thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  22. Thanks for sharing this review! I love it when people are honest and it's good to know how you really felt about the service. I think I'll give this resume company a miss!

    Nicola
    http://nicshealthylife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give this company a miss 100% - when I was researching this service prior to using, all reviews were associated with them so there wasn't a true independent person so hope my review helps other steer clear + save their money!

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  23. Oh dear! :-( I'm so sorry to hear your experience with them was so, appalling. You'd think people who write or re-write resumes for a living would know how to put proper sentences together! To be honest it's been a while since I took a look at mine. It's black and white, with headings, and just over two pages. I completely agree about adding your interests, it shows the employer that you have hobbies and some team activities also show them you're a team player, which is a good thing. I do like your idea of using a neutral colour for the headings - I'll be switching to a dark blue. :-)
    Kim x chimmyville.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was the opposite of what I was expecting from them, like I was sold one thing, and given the exact opposite as their service. YES - I would think that as people who did this for a living they would know how to string a sentence together that was semantically and grammatically correct - but nope. I can honestly say it was clear that they had no concept of grammar. I felt like I was an english teacher dissecting an essay - it was frustrating to on top of job searching, pay for a professional resume writer only to be the one who revised/edited the resume. The amount of sentence errors and words used incorrectly! Like words were literally used wrong but were placed in a way to make it ~sound smart~ I felt like the embodiment of the it's fine meme where everything is not fine, everything was in shambles and on fire.

      YES! 1 thing I will always recommend - and hope to write a post on this part specifically - is to keep a personal interest section on your resume. We are more than the profession we've chosen, we're multifaceted individuals and by having a personal interest section it gives the employer the full picture of who we are.

      ADD COLOR - YES! Changing your headings to neutral colors makes such a difference, especially considering how many resumes companies get that are the same format, adding a bit of a neutral color to the heading makes it stand out a bit!

      Delete
  24. OMG I would never pay for a service like this. I would think it is more or less a scam but then again I am a bit of cynic. I would see that price tag and be like nope. You could pay someone the same amount of money in person who you know has the background in what you are looking for. Just ask around and let them know you are willing to pay. So theres that.

    I would also be wary of data mining scams. I am blown away on how the job search "market" has turned in to a billions of dollars scam. All these companies making money off the job search. Hmmm. Job aggregators are posting millions of inactive jobs that companies for some reason leave on their careers page even though the job is not actively open. Why would they do this? Why would they want to get all those resumes flooding their inboxes? Well they leave them on their careers page because they don't deal with it. The third party recruiting company deals with it. So why would the third party recruiting company want to have their inboxes flooded with resumes and user profile information, hmm......#fakenews #everythingisascam

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are 100% right to not pay for a service like this - I wouldn't recommend this service to anyone. Although a great idea of a service, they did not deliver what they marketed themselves as - they market their services well, but that's all they know how to do well.

      Inner me was saying nope at that price tag, trust me! But, the ultimate reason I chose to go through with it was due to not getting as many responses and feeling like I was in a bit of hole with applying to jobs - and based on the reviews alone they "helped" a lot of others and as a job seeker, we want to see ourselves on the flip side. At that point I had exhausted the option of asking people around me that I knew to help me with my resume - the one selling point for TopResume was having a professional in my field giving me pointers, they did not deliver on that. It was not a professional in my field - I had to inform the professional resume writer on my own field's resume standards.

      You make an interesting point - there are a lot of jobs that are posted for companies that are not actively looking to fill a position and the thing is there's also the third party websites that are potentially slow to pull down that listing after it's been filled so then that means that a lot of data from applicants are being submitted to a job posting through a third party for a job that is not available. So what happens to those resumes, they are a source of valuable data from name, address to phone numbers and I'd even say a good estimate on age.

      Now I'm curious - I do wonder where all that data goes if it's not being used for it's intended purpose of finding a job - great point to think on!

      Delete
  25. So frustrating that you didn't get good value for money - that is a lot of money to pay to have to do further work yourself! I'm glad you did get some positives out of the experience but it doesn't sound like I'd want to use!

    Hope that you are having a lovely weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was the most frustrating experience - wouldn't wish this resume experience on any job seekers! Especially for so pricey! I'm glad that I was able to point out the errors in the resume writer's revised resumes sent to me, if I wasn't able to see how wrong the resume was for me, I can honestly say I would still be on the job search.

      Hope you have a nice weekend as well!

      Delete
  26. Thanks! Glad you found it interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete