Travel Guide: Santorini, Greece [Part 2]


And we're back with Santorini - since I happened to do a lot in Santorini it's getting split into three parts. If you haven't read my first part, you can read it here: Travel Guide: Santorini, Greece [Part 1]. Now, let's get onto more of the sites to see!



Emborio Village

GENERAL TIPS

TIP #1: This village was actually a fortress once - this fortress was meant to confuse foreigners so, everything looks the same. Essentially, it's a maze and if you don't know your way around, you're not getting out.

So, the tip here: KEEP YOUR EYE ON YOUR TOUR GROUP!

If you are not here with a day-tour, I'd recommend getting an in depth map of the Emborio Village to ensure you won't get lost.

TIP #2: Once you get to this village, there is a church. You are not allowed to take photos in there, so please be respectful and don't try to take a photo.

TIP #3: In this fortress, people actually live in there. There are homes within it. I found this really surprising because I had not the slightest clue if there was a supermarket nearby. So, this is more of a tip to remind you to keep your voice at a conversational volume - not too loud.

TIP #3: The walkways are a bit narrow in some parts, so if you're with a group of friends, you're going to have to go in a single file a few times. Also there's a lot of walking, so comfortable footwear that is not the color white is a must.

I say this as a person who wore white shoes :



TIP #4: If you are on a day-tour, PLEASE do not try and have a conversation with someone as the tour guide is talking. This happened when I went and I didn't hear half of the history crash course the guide was giving.



PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

TIP #1: When taking a photo near the doors, do not knock literally on the doors you see. As I mentioned above, people actually live there!

TIP #2: Taking a photo of the church in front is actually difficult. At one point, I just took a video because no photo could do it justice. However, if you aim to take a picture of it, you're going to have to stand far from it to get it all in frame. Since there are a lot of people there, you probably won't get a clear photo of just the church.



TIP #3: If you want to take a photo near the church, you're going to either:

A: Take a photo with the whole church in the background with a tiny you in there

B: Take a photo with you in the center + the church being half in there but also you'll know it's a church behind you by glancing at the photo.

As I was running short on time, I only had time to take photos of my sister there.


TIP #4: Depending on the door you decide to sit in front of to take photos, there may or may not be a line of people waiting for that exact spot. When I took the photo below, there were people waiting. So, I didn't realize that my bag would be in frame when my sister took the photo. So, this tip is to make sure your bag isn't in frame & to be mindful of others waiting.



Santorini Winery

GENERAL TIPS

TIP #1: As I mentioned in Travel Guide: Athens, Greece I don't drink beer/wine. If you also don't then not to worry! They have an interesting apricot & orange juice mixed drink.


Not really a tip, but I wanted to mention that if you don't want to go to this place PURELY because it's a winery and you don't drink, no worries they've got you covered.

TIP #2: The word for cheers in Greek is YAMAS - regardless of what you're drinking, you may be clinking for glasses saying YAMAS multiple times. So, if one of the servers says YAMAS, you say it back to them and raise your glass.

TIP #3: Wear something that will not fly up with the wind. The shirt I was wearing was pretty lightweight which meant the wind was having WAY too much fun with me.  I'd recommend perhaps wearing a romper? At least that way you won't have to worry of your top/skirt going up! (or, if you realllly want to wear a skirt, make sure to wear lining/shorts!)

my sister was 110% done with me after I took this titanic-y photo

PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

TIP #1: hi remember the wind I mentioned? Yes, the wind. It will play with you. So, if you have long hair, I'd recommend putting it half up/in a bun? Just to that way your photos aren't just of you with your hair in front of your face.

If you wear the hijab like me, be prepared to hold your scarf down with one hand.

TIP #2: If you're wearing a flow-y top, be prepared to hold it down.  If you're wondering how that went for me:


TIP #3: The view here is absolutely incredible - in order to get a shot of it all you can step back about 5 steps and capture it. However, I would recommend MAYBE using the panorama if you're using an iPhone. Also a video too because I felt like a photo couldn't capture all it's beauty.

TIP #4: If you're the one taking the photos there are three views to get:

VIEW 1: The cliff you are currently on in the background.

VIEW 2: The water with boats in the background.

When doing view 1/2:

You can either take a photo of your back to the camera & you looking out

or

Take a photo looking at the camera - though, if you look at the above photo that's how that went 

Back to tip #1 

VIEW 3: Both View 1 + 2 together.

When doing View 3: 

You: Stand towards the right hand side 
(not completely! Make sure you are 10 steps away from the end of the line on your right) 

Person Taking the Photo: Stand all the way to the right, and take the photo at a slight angle to get both the cliff and water in the background.

Because that may have sounded kind of confusing, here's the photo from above to show you what I mean; I hope I explained that well: 




Profitis Ilias Mountain

GENERAL TIPS

TIP #1: This is a bit rocky, so sneakers or Toms is a must here.

If you're wearing flip flops, it'd start to become uncomfortable on the feet!

TIP #2: If you have children with you, keep an eye/hold their hand. On the way up to the highest point (in the beginning) there isn't a barricade from the edge of the cliff.

TIP #3: If you are on a day-tour, you better move those legs fast up that mountain to get the perfect photo up above - time is not a luxury!

(The good thing is that there aren't a lot of people here at once!)



PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

TIP #1: On the way to the highest point, there's a small cliff where you can sit and take photos there.
If you're feeling a liittle risky - take a jump shot! I was taking photos of a young American couple & when I asked if they wanted me to take a jump shot of them the guy was like OH HELL NO HAHA.

TIP #2: For this small cliff, I'd recommend getting a sitting down photo! The person taking the photo should be kneeling on the floor and leaning back to get the entirety of the view.

TIP #3: Now, for the top of the Mountain, there is a ledge there. And you already know what I'm going to say - get on there and take a jump shot! 

TIP #4: You see the whole of Santorini up there, although yes you want to be in the photo, be sure to take some stand-alones of just the view!





Oia 

GENERAL TIPS

TIP #1: Most people are here because of the view of the Sunset from this point. So, there are a lot of people. If you're there with someone, make sure you have your eye on them or are holding their hand.

TIP #2: This is Tourist Central. So, there are a lot of shops here. A LOT. So, make sure you look around before settling on getting something for XYZ price. Chances are, the same thing you're looking at is cheaper at another lil shop.

TIP #3: Keep your purse/bag close to you. As I mentioned in TIP #1, there are a lot of people. Be careful with your things.

TIP #4: If you are there for the sunset, make sure to start making your way to the Castle (the best place to see it!) at least 30-40 minutes before Sunset. 

If you opt out of viewing it at the castle, which I ended up doing because ya girl did not eat all day as I mentioned in Part 1, you can also make your way towards the castle and go in the lil side streets/walking areas. Still a great view!



PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

TIP #1: If you're in a side walking area, there a lot of people. So, when you get the chance to take a photo, make sure to get every angle you want.

TIP #2: Be mindful that others are waiting to take photos as well. When I went this girl must have been a blogger because she had a full fledged photographer with her, and she kept taking photos for about 30 minutes in that same spot - which was THE SPOT to take a touristy photo. Yes, I said in TIP #1 to make sure you take every angle you want, but please be mindful of others - half my photos are in the dark because I couldn't take any since she was hogging the whole section.

TIP #3: I'd say to take a photo with your back against the view - this is great if you want to get a literal postcard-vibe photo. (I took a photo with my back to the view but it's just way too dark, no editing can save it).

TIP #4: This is to the person taking the photo: Watch your footing. The side walking area I was in, was narrow and I had to keep watching the way I stepped.

TIP #5: To take a photo of all the shops, in y'know that aesthetic way, and not have a bunch of people jostling you around for standing in their way, there are a few less crowdy areas - the further you are from the entrance & Castle you're fine to take a photo without being bothered.

_____

AND THERE WE HAVE IT - the end of Part 2 aka the end of sightseeing in Santorini! I saw all my sightseeing in Santorini with NST Travel

Pros of Day Tour: 
You see every part of the Island.

Cons of a Day Tour: 
You are short on time so, although you see every part of the island, you kind of don't get a chance to truly admire it all (if that makes sense) because you're already being bused to the next location before you get the chance to take it all in.

If there's one thing I wish I had more of it's more time in each place.

And, I promise Santorini is almost done! Now, all I have left is Places to eat, Hotel, Weather, and Transportation - which you'll read all about in Part 3!

SEE YOU ALL IN PART 3!


14 comments:

  1. Wow, Sahara, these photos are amazing. Santorini is definitely on my bucket list and I love the look of the little Emborio Village! I probably wouldn’t do a guided tour because I don’t like to be restricted to other people’s timeframea when I’m on holiday, I’d rather just meander around in my own pace (which is usually quite slow haha!)

    You’ve just made me want to visit even more! Lovely post :) And your tips are great!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I loved maneuvering around in the Emborio Village, it was so interesting seeing the different paths (had to make sure I didn't get lost!) & how others would decorate their doors. It used to be that all doors were large metal ones, all the same, but overtime people changed them. There was this one area where everything was purple - purple window, purple door, purple house, it was purple wonderland!

      I can definitely agree with your reason against going on a guided tour - it was really fast paced and I would have loved to have stayed a bit longer in each area.

      YAY! If/when you visit, you're going to love holidaying in Santorini!

      Delete
  2. I've been waiting for this since I read part 1! I love all the tips you've added in - Santorini is literally on my to visit list!
    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I did not disappoint! So happy to hear you love the tips, if/when you go you'll love it there!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, these photographs are absolutely gorgeous! You look amazing too! SUch a lovely post, hopefully I can visit too one day!

    Imogen - imogenchloe.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's the perfect place for a vacation, so much to see and do, you'll never be bored if/when you go!

      Delete
  4. This post is stunning. I know you don't drink it, but you had me sold at winery. All of your photographs in this post are phenomenal, I love all the tips. Speaking of tips, the way you set this out with tips for each location is great. It makes it so easy to read and breaking down the sections really helped it flow. Emborio Village sounds lovely. I hope people respect the no photo rule! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Everyone that did drink really loved the Winery, they had about three different wines to test taste with some little crackers with cheese and especially with such an amazing view, it's a win win!

      YAY I'm so happy you love the format of my Travel Guide, I really tried thinking of the best way to lay everything out and have it easy on the eyes! Thankfully most did respect the no photo rule in the church, but there were a few that tried to sneak a photo inside!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow these photos are absolutely gorgeous! I hate when people talk over tour guides, it's so rude and unfair on everyone else! It's crazy that one girl took up the good spot for all that time, I'm sorry that that meant that you couldn't get in there too, it's super frustrating when that happens isn't it?!

    Soph - https://sophhearts.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! When someone was talking over the tour guide I was just so annoyed because we all paid for a tour guide to tell us about the place, the least the people could've done was to not talk for the 5 minutes it took for the Tour Guide to explain a few things.

      YES! I really wish I got a photo there, and the girl saw people waiting but didn't care at all and continued on with her photos. It was such a post-card type of photo location too, I really wish people were more considerate of others waiting for the same spot to take a photo!

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  6. This is such a beautiful church. I love that every door and every corner is so photogenic. Beautiful Santorini!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was a beautiful church, and every part of Santorini was so beautiful; photos don't even do it justice!

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh that walkway! Why is it that the first thing I thought of was how great it would be to take insta pics there hahah!! I got excited when reading about the winery and then I saw the mountain!! I bloody love mountains, the view looks amazing from the pictures you have included. I love how in this blog post you have included photography tips because it is so hard sometimes to get the right picture with what you want in frame, to actually be in frame. Oia looks like an absolute dream, something you would see in a movie!
    https://lifeofshar.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA the walkway is really aesthetic like I'm surprised I haven't seen bloggers visiting the Emborio Village - it's so aesthetic and interesting to walk around in! The view from the Winery was incredible like I felt like that was very much a pinch me moment (and very windy like wow that wind really liked to play some games haha) - it was just so so beautiful- there was even a couple taking wedding photos with the view!

      YAY I'm so happy you like the format of general tips + photography tips - since I'm usually taking photos every 3 steps I thought it'd be great to share some tips for each location - getting a photo just right can be so hard - especially when making sure everything is in frame :)

      Oia was literally just that! It was like I just walked into a Postcard world where everything was just so beautiful - I had a lot of pinch-me-moments in Greece that's for sure!

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting Sharnah!! ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete