Importance of Recovery Days


When exercising it's so easy to get in the mindset of I must workout everyday to run faster & to get stronger and forget that your body needs a recovery day even if your mind is against it. 

Although it doesn't really seem like it, recovery days are just as important as workout days. Trust me when I say I'm guilty of going OH WHO NEEDS A REST DAY I'M SO CLOSE TO GETTING MY MIN PER MILE DOWN. The who who needs a rest day is me. If you've also felt this way, thinking that rest days are for the weak, let me tell you something I wish someone told me: We are not machines. Stop trying to act like one.

hi yes i am a professional at not knowing what to do with my hands

I personally even wondered did professional Olympic Athletes take rest days? I found my answer in Alexandra Raisman's (Olympic Gymnast) Instagram post and in Alysia Montano's (Olympic Runner) Instagram post. One thing that they both mentioned was to listen to your body first and then your training schedule. For Alexandra Raisman, she took a break after Rio (a well deserved one at that! did! you! watch! the! Olympics!) and for Alysia Montano, she makes sure to put rest days into her training schedule.

Recovery days don't make you weak, they make you stronger. By having a rest day in your schedule, you allow your muscles to relax and save yourself from any injury you would have gotten if you overtrained. If you remember from my previous posts that was the reason I ended up out of running for a few months - I didn't take rest days and my injuries came rolling into my life like HAHA YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD AVOID ME.

actual footage of me when I see someone running on my rest/recovery day

And let me tell you having to sit out for a month while seeing people running & exercising is honestly the worst. There's that lil voice in your mind that's like HEY THAT COULD BE YOU BUT YOU STILL HAVE XYZ WEEKS TILL YOU'RE COMPLETELY HEALED. After you take your recovery day- trust me when I say this - your body will be thanking you! literally take the recovery day! your body will be 110% blessed! The next day you'll feel fresh and ready for whatever workout you have planned.
_____
"Resting is just as important as working out because it's an equal part of the total process required to build strength, endurance, and muscle."
_____


Resting doesn't mean eating Doritos on the couch and binge watching Game of Thrones. It means doing a bit of walking around your house or outside.  Okay and maybe binge watch a LIL Game of Thrones. Generally you should be moving around a bit but not in an exercise/workout sense. Rather in a I-will-not-become-the-living-embodiment-of-a-potato-on-my-day-off kind of way.

Yes. You may be thinking on your rest days I'm so close to my goal! I'm almost there! I don't need it! A rest day is going to slow me down!

NO. NO IT WILL NOT!

 It will strengthen your muscles, you won't feel a tiredness during your workout since you rested the day before and you'll feel ready to take on any new challenge you've set up for yourself.

On your rest/recovery days, REST. Your body needs time to relax and recharge. Listen to your body - it's the only one you have.





*currently in the process of combining both Instagrams to this one*
if we're mutuals on twitter or on my other Instagram I'll follow back!


10 comments:

  1. Firstly, I love this outfit! Secondly, you're so totally right. I am often that person who is doesn't take a rest day because I'm close to my goals, but it is really important to take a day to yourself.

    -GG
    www.girlingamba.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I used to be just like that too, kind of coasting along day after day getting closer to my goal without realizing my body needed a rest day until I ended up with an injury because of pushing myself too much - the most important piece of advice for exercising I'd give is to listen to your body and know when it's time to take a rest :)

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I agree rest days are important. I am not a runner but enjoy gym classes and used to go most days. I feel much better as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely agree that going to the gym makes you feel a lot better, and of course healthier! However, personally, I think regardless of what you're doing at the gym running, lifting weights etc. putting in a rest/recovery day to relax is a must!

      Delete
  3. SO in love with these photos! And I agree completely, with anything it's important to take time for yourself and not become consumed by what you're trying to achieve! Great post!
    Tara x
    http://taradaniella.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I think for all of these photos I was trying to figure out what to do with my hands hahaha. And yes! The most important thing is to take time for yourself away from your goals to relax and recharge- thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree! Off days are as important as workouts! It can sometimes be hard to stop and not workout when you are motivated and feel like working out each day, but our bodies need it, so it's a good excuse to put our feet up lol x

    Kirsty
    www.corinneandkirsty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Off days - although they don't seem like it- are just as important as your workout days! I can definitely agree that it can be sometimes hard to take a rest/recovery day especially when you're so close to achieving a goal - I'm always having to convince myself rest days are important!

      Delete
  5. Haha, you look lovely in the pics! :)
    About the recovery days, I'm the total opposite, lol...I mean, I'm very lazy when it comes to workout. I always have to force myself to do it at least 2 times a week. But when it comes to work-related stuff, I'm a bit workaholic. I need to force myself to have breaks, which is also important for our health.

    xx
    Andrea
    http://www.simplicityinvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I responded to this comment but I've just been scrolling on my posts and realized an odd number of comments rather than an even number and realized I never responded!

      Thank you!

      It is so so important to have little breaks in the day, right after a workout your brain will be so much more alert and you'll generally feel a whole lot better! :)

      Delete