Flying Through Adventures


Towards the end of 2018, in December, I decided to read the Harry Potter Series. And by read, I mean I essentially finished a book either within 24 Hours, 48 Hours or within a week. This then lead to me  completing the entire series - 7 books - in 1 Month. When I finished the series, I felt that I went too fast and could have enjoyed the characters more if I read slower. Something I realized when I finish a book/series is that I tend to read just to see how it all ends and neglect (not on purpose) minor details, and sub-plots, all to see how the main plot plays out. 

This often leads to me being upset that I didn't ~enjoy my time~ with the characters; when I read really fast through a series I sometimes forget what happened in Book 1 when I'm on Book 5. Did I read Book 1 before I got to Book 5? Well, uh yes obviously! But I think the reason why it would be hard for me to remember key details of what happened in Book 1 is because I just read it at surface level to gather the information I needed to understand the next book in the series.

Through my flying through fictional adventures (and occasionally non-fictional adventures), I began to wonder if I applied this sort of main-plot-is-the-only-thing-that's-important mindset elsewhere in my life. Similar to me ~inhaling~ a novel within 24 hours, I noticed that I applied it just about everywhere in my life. From wanting things career wise to have happened yesterday, my speed on the track to be faster hours ago, and to wanting this blanket I've been crocheting to have been completed last month.

All of things I mentioned above - career moves, speed, crochet -  take time. You can't just wake up one morning and suddenly have a nice looking salary, stronger arms, legs and core to get you to cross that finish line faster, and a finished winter blanket. There are steps for each of them that lead you to where you intend to go.

In terms of having the mindset of only focusing on the main plot - for example, I'd love for my career in tech to go in the direction I want it to be in, but by only focussing on a job in tech as the main plot, I lose the minor details that are also part of my tech journey. There's the small triumphs along the way- doing freelance work, educating myself on a programming topic I wasn't so strong on before, learning a new programming language etc. Not everything happens linearly, but through this lovely rollercoaster of my tech life I've realized that those subplots, actually strengthen the person you are aiming to be in the main plot.

ya girl is freezing in this photo & attempting to avoid eye contact with people who were watching me with my tripod which was hard because uh the direction I am turned here to my phone was also the general area where people were so I was facing them as I was taking this photo  - how i kept cheesing is a mystery 

In terms of my running life there are days where I wish I was faster but by focussing on my speed only in the 5K distance, I am missing out on these subplot running adventures: Running faster + covering more distance doing the No Time? Go Time! speed workout on the Nike Training App, conquering a hill that I've been sprinting up for 3 months and finally getting more greens than reds*, survived a few Fartlek runs (me and Fartlek have some tea, but I'll conquer it soon) etc. Through this running adventure, I've realized the subplots - the small victories - are puzzle pieces and once they connect, they lead to the faster runner I will become. 
_____
green - means I went faster than my previous repetition of running up the hill
red - means I went slower than my previous repetiiton of running up the hill

example:
Some imaginary times here of pacing for sprinting up a hill: 5:45 6:20 3:20 7:20 6:20 5:18
Of those times, there are three occasions where I went faster than my previous sprint and two occasions where I went slower than my previous sprint - does this make sense?
_____

wow so serious - this book was about hymnology. i can confirm this book is not upside down.

Those subplots contribute to the main plot and by skimming right by them - in terms of reading hi we're back to discussing fictional adventures welcome back - you miss out on what lead to the main plot being the main plot. 

We all want things to happen instantly, as if we can click our shoes together and everything we've ever wanted will happen - unless Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz wants to give us her lucky red shoes, we're going to have to take it one subplot at a time to reach our main plot. 

Think of it as a ladder. The steps on the ladder? Those are your sub-plots. The top of the ladder i.e your destination? That's your main plot.

My advice would be to pay attention to those subplots and learn from them - they are essentially the building blocks to reach your main plot. You can't have one step of the ladder loosely screwed, right? Celebrate your small victories en route to your main plot, see why you didn't do so well at XYZ and learn from it,  and enjoy the journey that is your life one subplot at a time.

14 comments:

  1. This post really resonated with me, especially with a lot of things going on in my own life right now. Appreciaing the sub plots is definitely important.

    Love this post Sahara!

    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed reading!! Sometimes we wave off the sub-plots not appreciating the fact that without the sub-plots the main plot sort of crumbles.

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool post! I love how you've written it and the message behind it. I think it's very true and we can get caught up in wanting everything ASAP!

    Rhianna x
    www.tsundokugirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed reading it. Yess - we can get caught up of wanting everything ASAP instead of focusing on the journey it takes to get from Point A to Point B.

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  3. HI, I LOVED THIS. So easy to relate to. I've really noticed in the last year that I go through phases in my life where everything is really fast and then super slow. I read the book in a day and can barely remember the detail when I'm done, I schedule 6 posts but can't remember what I published last week, send my emails and can't remember the name of the person I've spoken to. Then there's a switch, the book takes over a week but I can recall everything, I haven't written a single post for the following week but I'm really proud of what I said on Tuesday and I'm sending my emails looking forward to a rapport with a particular person. I like the slower paced version of myself, but she gets stressed out that things aren't moving on so the super charged version comes back. Interesting to know that other people are feeling similar things! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! I recently just finished a book in 2 days - I really was glued to the book for 48 hours - and when it came to read the next book in the series I had trouble remembering some key parts because of how fast I flew straight through it.

      I can definitely relate - I like the slower paced version of myself too but also inner me then convinces myself that I'm not using my time wisely and that I should be doing XYZ and splitting myself at the same time to do 4893 million other things. When focusing on one thing at a time though, I definitely can say I feel a lot more present in what I'm doing :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a lovely, well written post that was a great read! I think it has such a good message which I'm definitely going to be trying to focus on such as focussing on the subplots!
    Sarah x
    http://www.saraheliza.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! The subplots of how you make it to the main plot, focussing more on the journey than on the destination, makes all the difference :)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this post. I thought it was going to be all about Harry Potter so will comment that I absolutely love those books and I've read them multiple times and all very quickly also (maybe not 24 hours quickly though haha). This is such a brilliant metaphor though and I totally relate to constantly being in so much of a rush that I miss some of the story- I'm one of those people who always has to be rushing even if I'm not necessarily going anywhere and I definitely need to actively slow down sometimes- as do you it sounds!

    Soph - https://sophhearts.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed reading it! The Harry Potter Series will forever be my favorite, I can read them over and over again! I really shouldn't have read one in 24 hours trust me when I say that wasn't the brightest idea hahaha.

      yes! I still have some slowing down to do, but after reflecting a bit I like to think I've gotten better at focusing on the journey rather than the destination and taking it one moment at a time :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, Sahara. You've blown my mind with this post. First of all, WELL DONE for reading all the HP's within a month. I'm such a slow reader and I haven't even read all the Harry Potters (I'm not too bothered though!)

    But what you said about flying through the books and how this could translate into your own life really hit home with me. I'm always rushing, trying to complete my to-do list, hit those goals, get everything done NOW. I sometimes wonder what I've missed that's happened right under my nose.

    This has definitely encouraged me to slow down, savor things and look for the small things.

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved this post! You're so right about not taking the time to enjoy things - I love the idea of 'learning from our own sub plots'; what great advice! I loved the Harry Potter books and in fact ended up re-reading them, because, like you I rushed through and this is totally something I'm guilty of in all aspects of my life! The ladder is the perfect analogy and something I'm going to begin to remind myself of more frequently.
    Kate x
    http://www.findingkate.co

    ReplyDelete