Speeding Up


Given the last time I used a training plan from the Nike+ Run App I ended up flaking on the app,  I'm surprised I'm enjoying my training schedule as much as I am. So what happened was uh we got back together and I've never been better? I was looking at my previous fitness posts, and the last time I started a training plan I used the app for three weeks and then never opened it again because I didn't feel it was what I was looking for.

What's different now?

Well, I feel like my goal of becoming a 5000M Team USA Olympian solidified itself in my mind. And by solidified I mean I have been looking at USATF sanctioned races to compete at. I also think following more runners on Instagram - this was a rare occasion where I acknowledged the explore page and scrolled for a bit and stumbled upon runners- really clicked my mind in Aspiring Olympian Runner mode.

Also, I think this time around I love running a bit more. What I've realized is when you start enjoying your runs, your pacing reflects that.

So, how have my runs/workouts been?

In short: I've been enjoying my runs and every workout I do.

In long:

I've been getting faster and! I'm actually looking forward to speed workouts. I feel that 200M sprints are more my forte but slowly 400M sprints are becoming a favorite of mine as well. My mile pacing has improved since my first week of using the app to now (4th week using the app). Recently, the application increased my mileage by a mile, and since the application had me previously running a mile straight or 2 mile sprints/rest, fully going for 2 miles started to feel - for a lack of a word - ????

Mile one had me securing a spot on an elite relay team while mile two had me questioning why have I dedicated my time to a sport that plays a 1 on 1 match with oxygen entering my system. But at the same time I love it. I love seeing how much I can push myself. I love seeing myself progress and get faster. Progress doesn't happen overnight -as amazing as that would be- it happens with the right amount of motivation and dedication. 

When I get the mile pacing I want in my 200M sprints I think to myself: LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF. LOOK HOW FAR YOU'VE COME. I'm my own cheerleader and my own alarm clock. I think, as I'm learning more about myself as a runner, the best feeling is when the building blocks to your goal suddenly become stairs and your goal is that much closer.  In that regard, Olympian speed is on step 100 and I'm currently living my best self on step 20.

 Do I sometimes give myself a pep talk - well more like a HOW DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING ANYWHERE WITH A MILE PACE LIKE THAT? YOU THINK YOU'RE OLYMPIAN MATERIAL? OH THAT'S CUTE - yes yes I do. But then the nice chill side of my mind comes in and reminds me that progress is what matters. Sure, I wasn't at Olympic speed last month, but I'm closer to that pacing this month. And I get closer every time I decide to grab my sneakers to go for a run.

_____
An instagram runner (who also blogs on instagram) trackclubbae actually wrote a post that I always come back to when the ~negative thoughts~ come into my mind. 

I'd recommend you read it here!

_____



I can't just sprint myself to Olympic timing. Olympians aren't born with the genetic blessing of speed. No. They work for it. They go to the gym. They train. I'm getting there at my own pace, and yes I see some runners at my goal 5K timing but that doesn't mean I won't get there. It just means I have a bit more work to put in until I get there. Getting there sometimes feels like I'm climbing a ladder that I can't see the end of but I'm a quarter of the way up the ladder and I will keep climbing.

This is a message to myself, because I read a lot of my blogposts over and to you: 
Yes. You. Can.

_____

After running 2 miles last week, I am attempting to cement these three things into my mind before my 2.5 mile run this week:

1. Conserve Your Energy
On Mile 1 I passed the same person 8 times on the track, and felt great, but the thing is I didn't balance my energy properly so that didn't make for a great second mile.

2. Hydrate Before You Run
I did drink water before I began my 2 mile run but once Mile 1 was down, I felt like my throat was dryer than the Sahara Desert in the summer. So, one thing I'll be doing is making sure to drink at least 2-3 bottles of water before my 2.5 mile run.

3. Try and find another way -besides passing the person ahead of you - to go faster.
This tactic works great when there are people on the track/road to pass. On the track there were a handful of people but that slowly turned into just me and this other person. I did pass this other person maybe 15 times while running 2 miles but at times it felt too easy. This person was walking and I pretty much lapped them 2 times over before they started a new lap.

_____

I decided not to run with music anymore as I felt that the more I listened to music the more I didn't focus on my form. I'll have a post up on this topic soon!
_____

I decided to look up another way to keep by mind busy & to speed up and these are the things that popped up:

Passing the person ahead of you.
 (When I tell you i A-HA'D my screen while walking my 2 lap cool down after my two miles, I'm not even joking.)

Focusing on your form.
 (which I do already; poor form = poor run)

Focusing on your family waiting for you at the finish line on race day.


I'll try and use a bit of those 3 for my next 2.5 mile run this week and hopefully it goes better! Do you run? How do you keep your mind busy?

ALSO BEFORE I FORGET:

Stretches before a Run

Stretches after a Run

My Average Mile Pace This Week:
7'40''

Missed my previous Fitness Style Post?
Transitioning to the Gym




7 comments:

  1. Such an amazing goal! I found this really interesting as I train for distance rather than speed most of the time. Congratulations on your progress. Keep us updated! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! How's training for distance going? Whenever I increase my mileage now - after not balancing out my energy for my 2 mile run in this post - I've learned to jog at an easy pacing to build endurance! And thank you so much!! Yes, of course! I'll be sure to keep updating everyone on my progress! :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you achieve your goal! And when you will do you’ll have me cheering for you from the other side of the Atlantic :)

    Soffy // themumaffairs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all my training I'm doing will be enough to get me on Team USA for Tokyo 2020!! Ah thank you so so much that means so much to me!! :)

      Delete
  3. I really love reading how motivated and determined you are. you know what you want and thats awesome, lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm essentially zeroing in on my goal and hoping for the best; thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  4. Thank you!! I hope they'll be helpful for other runners to keep in mind as they run. Running can take a bit to get into and love, that I can admit! The machines at the gym are also fun and challenging to do as well, especially with increasing the amount to lift/distance to go on different machines. Thank you so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete