Beautiful People

Sahara smiling in front of an Apple Tree

So I happen to be listening to Ed Sheeran's Beautiful People song a lot recently - and by recently did I ever stop listening to it since it came out? Although I know a lot of people who don't like Ed Sheeran, he is a favorite of mine to listen to. When I heard the song, it really started to make me think of kind of just life.

Whenever we start something new, whether that be blogging, running, baking etc., we always look for inspiration in the form of Pinterest, Instagram and maybe even Twitter. In terms of blogging, I think there's a general-idea of what content you know will get a lot of views vs content that won't attract half as many - you know what I'm talking about, the gamble-idea-of-a-post.

When looking for inspiration - which, you're talking to the same person who sees cotton candy and decides to research the inventors and goes for a history joy ride - a lot of what I see on Pinterest or even on my Instagram is practically everyone looking as if copy and paste took in-person form with minor lighting differences. Individuality can at times be squashed away in favor for 'what's popular' and that's where I think a lot of creators are finding themselves at the crossroads of.

And it often comes with the choice of do I imitate what I see or do I stay in the lane that was created just for me?



Sahara posing in front of an Apple Tree
right, I'm not sure what's happening in this photo but we're rolling with it
I've had a lot of thoughts on the direction of my blog. I've been writing for 3 years and the route I take to writing is quite literally whatever floats my boat - whatever I feel like. And as a result of not having a niche, my growth compared to what one person who recently started blogging six months ago with a niche is fairly low. It was brought up to me by my sister that my growth - although I've been doing this for 3 years - is quite literally crumbs. 

And at the time that hurt to hear the truth. But at the same time? I chose the direction of my blog and through the years my blog has evolved in the form of my blogging voice rather than in reach. I used to write in such a way that was similar to english papers, as I grew comfortable with my little space on the internet, my blogging voice came alive. My actual voice. 

I may not be growing like everyone else, but I am evolving in my own way.


Do I want my blog to grow? Yes of course I'd love to grow my blog! I recently made a pact with myself that if I post once a week on my blog for September then I will be getting a domain. My blogging schedule has been a bit in shambles to put it simply, which is accurate because my life is in shambles. 

My life is what I call organized chaos. It's organized to me and the synonym for disorganized for everyone else. For starters, I've applying for full time roles and finding freelance work in the long journey to full time for about a year now. Everyone I know has secured full-time roles. I'm the only one left without one, and it gets me down a lot.

Sahara smiling in front of an Apple Tree
happy sahara even though life is in shambles - as long as I still have a smile on my face, it can't be THAT bad of a shamble did i even make sense oh well

You may have noticed my weekly blog posts turned into monthly. (I'm changing that to get back into weekly, I promise.) That would be because I was drowning in rejections, doing certifications on top of my degree, doing freelance work, and being told I wasn't good enough for a full time role all at the same time. That spread into every area of my life from my track life to my blogging life - which is why I stopped writing. I didn't stop going to the track, but rather than being excited to go,  I'd just worry about where my life is going on my way to the track.

When I was at the track, it's almost as if well why aren't you applying to jobs? You're wasting time! You're not working hard enough to get a job! 

So like I said, my life is organized chaos, or what probably makes more sense: in shambles. 

When I was listening to Beautiful People, something it made me think of was the direction everyone is going in - from blogging to university friends. In blogging, I see a lot of similar photos by different people glossed over on my Instagram. In my university friends, everyone is riding a wave of full time employment while I'm out here wave-finding.

I wonder how long it's going to take me to find a wave. To find my thing.



Sahara smiling in front of an Apple Tree

Recently, I commented on Team USA's 400M Hurdler World Champion Olympian Georganne Moline instagram post. She followed me a few months ago - and I swear I still remember that day, I screamed so loud like my favorite Olympian knows of my existence and actually looked at my Instagram where I literally have 300 followers and thought hey I'm going to follow her! 

Anyways, let's move past my fangirling for a second, she recently went through a surgery and was so positive about the whole thing and I was just in awe. I commented how much I loved her positivity and that I was excited to follow along with her journey to Tokyo 2020. She replied to me.

She said that she could say the same thing about me [regarding positivity] and that she loved my work ethic and the smile I always have on my face.


She loved MY work ethic when I was sitting here wondering am I doing everything right? Where is my life actually going? What's my 5K time looking like? Is it even worth dreaming this big for an Olympic dream when I am constantly told to get back to reality?

And that was my answer to a lot of things.

I'm generally a very optimistic person - me and pessimism don't know each other unless we're discussing the probability of me landing a full time role. I question a lot of what I do and if I'm doing anything right. Everyone is progressing in their career, and everyone I follow on Instagram seems to have it all figured out.


It's kind of like I'm Waldo because I'm easily noticeable as doing my own thing across my platforms and in life.


I don't follow a trend, I don't have picture-perfect photos; I'm just sort of chilling in my own lane. But I also understand in terms of growth, as is clear by a few friends of mine who recently took up blogging and pretty much surpassed me in viewership and following in a few months, that following what's on trend, what's popular, and going with the flow rather than diverging away from it is one way that leads to growth almost instantly - but that's not me.

I don't plan to be anyone else but me on my platforms or in my life. I'm happy with my running selfies, my ramblings about history in the form of crash courses, balancing my phone on a bench post-run to take a running video, attempting to figure out poses when I have my tripod because I have precisely 0 poses except smiling at the camera because that's me. All of it is me. My life isn't a glossy magazine of instagram photos, there's sweaty me after a run and there's me narrating the history of sidewalks.

The other way that leads to growth is being your genuine self (cliche, yes I know, stay with me now) because you may not be everyone's cup of tea but what's important is that you are your own cup of tea.


What Georganne Moline made me realize is this: I may not have a fancy job with a 6 figure salary, and I may not have a coach/trainer but there is one thing I do have: My work ethic.

I'm studying for an additional certification and I practice coding problems during the day to get that much closer to a full time role.  I train 6 times a week - I show up at the track for every workout I assign myself. It's just me out here.

Even if I'm the only one at the track, I run. I wasn't great at hill sprints - I trained and got better. My core wasn't always strong, so I trained for a month specifically on core and I have a faint outline of abs now. I didn't know how to do the boxing skip with my jumprope - I learned. Now, I do it every other day without thinking and add some new jump rope tricks.

I used to do terrible on coding challenges I was sent (more on this in a future post). Now, I finish at least one of the two impossible problems I'm given. I used to panic every time I did a coding problem from a specific book - now I solve questions from there in 10 minutes.

I feel like I'm floating in a limbo most days but my work ethic is what defines me, not my employment - it just took me a year and 4 months to realize that.


I may have 300 followers on Instagram, amassed a small blog audience in my 3 years of blogging, and I may only have 625 Twitter Followers but I don't plan on changing the person I am to fit the mould of what's deemed to be popular or what's deemed to be the perfect software engineer - I'll make my own mold.

In the words of Ed Sheeran's Beautiful People:

We don't fit in well 
'Cause we are just ourselves

I may not fit in well with my lack of a niche in blogging or with my university friends who have full time jobs while I'm out here holding binoculars to my email wondering if in the distance I see a rejection email on its way or a job offer but I'm not giving up what makes me me to become one of the Beautiful People*.

If there's one advice I can give, as Chari Hawkins - Team USA Heptathlete - said over on her Instagram Story:  Work hard and stay patient.

Your work ethic is yours. How much you stick to your work ethic to see the results you want to see depends on how patient you are in the process. Work hard, and stay patient, and you're golden.


* = listen to Beautiful People and then come back to understand this ending line ok thank u!

So now I turn it over to you: Are you a go with the flow type of person, or I'm going to plant myself like a tree and do my own thing type of person? Let's get this conversation going!

30 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog post darling, you've been so honest and open. Also - great pictures, so beautiful! 💜

    With love, Alisha Valerie x | www.alishavalerie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Saraha I relate to this SO MUCH. I've been going through such a crisis recently because I just don't know where I git and want to do and I don't want to just conform but then I feel like I'm not "unique" enough. I've spent my whole blogging life just trying to be me, but then I feel like I don't "acheive" as much as others because I'm not the "blogging ideal". I love your positivity and how you turn a simple song lyric into a whole wordy thought process - it's the type of blogging I started with and the kind of blogging I resonate with. Hope we both "find our wave" soon!

    Jas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes! I think it's kind of like a catch 22 in a way - being unique is 110% the best route *but* fitting into the box everyone wants you to come in has its advantages (and of course disadvantages!).

      I relate to this one line so much: I've spent my whole blogging life just trying to be me, but then I feel like I don't "achieve" as much as others because I'm not the "blogging ideal". - I'm in the same boat! I always feel like I should maybe be writing about XYZ even though I enjoy what I currently write, I think it all comes down to staying true to yourself & knowing that the right audience and brand will appreciate your uniqueness!

      Thanks so much for reading Jasmine!

      Delete
  3. God, I resonate soooo much with this. Firstly, I love that your blog is uniquely yours. And I know I'll always find a post genuinely interesting to read (maybe partly because I run too) rather than something to skim and scroll to the bottom of. I often wonder if having a foodie niche holds me back from having a personality. I try to be me, but I'm never sure how easy that is to come across when I'm talking about why I like this flour more than that one. As for growth, sure, my blog is slowly growing. Then I start to worry about when it hits the limit because there's already a billion recipes online and vegan food blogs aren't exactly unique. I love how you got here from a song too. And I hope those waves pick us up soon! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW thank you so much Sophie, that really means so much to me!! I've noticed that you've recently started sprinkling in some reflection posts such as your 'Should I Delete Instagram?' - I think it's great that you're doing that to have a bit of both worlds while still focusing more so on a foodie niche :)

      I totally get what you mean!! But the best thing about recipes is that there's always a new way to make something or a new way to look at a certain food. One thing I love is how creative and fun your recipes are - and!! SUPER tasty, I'm still not over the mummy vanilla chocolate one that I made. I really take my hat off to any/every food blogger, it's like insane how you can invent a recipe and piece it all together to taste amazing!

      Thanks so much for reading Sophie! Here's to hoping our wave comes for us soon :)

      Delete
  4. Love that this post is so honest and vulnerable. I've never really felt like I 'fit in' anywhere and can relate to so many of the points you made. But I've realised that it's ok just to be myself and not try to change for other people. Great post and very interesting!

    Nicola
    http://nicshealthylife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 100%! I've felt I'm my own mold and fitting in at the cost of losing parts of what make me me is not something I plan to ever do. :) Thanks so much for reading Nicola!

      Delete
  5. A very genuine and refreshing post! Your perseverance to remain true to yourself is so nice to read about! I'm your blog (and life achievements) will only continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your kind words, they mean so much! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment :)

      Delete
  6. This is such a beautiful post, I one hundred percent agree with the bit about I may not be growing like everyone else I might be evolving in my own way. I love that I've been writing for years and I feel like it is so true! X

    Kayleigh Zara 🌟 http://www.kayleighzaraa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all on our own journeys, and evolving in our own way even if we think we haven't grown the way we should be, we are growing just as we should be :) Thanks so much for reading Kayleigh!

      Delete
  7. See that's the beauty of music, it makes us think in depth and discover new things about ourselves. I too enjoy Ed Sheeran, he is an impeccable songwriter🥰 So I used to compare my blog to others and wondered why I wasn't hitting certain numbers and then I started writing posts to get likes. I was so miserable and bored with my blog, it sucked all the fun. Once my old blog was deleted and I launched JustNatonya, I told myself I'm gonna write what I like and don't care if it gets views of not. I'm much more happy even if the stats aren't like everyone else's. I think it's cool you're finding positive energy through your journey and doing what's best for you. In the end, we're all different for a reason and it's cool to not blog like everyone else online😁 lovely thoughtful post!

    Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss the best thing about music, how different lyrics can mean different things to different people. Ed Sheeran is my favorite to listen too - I could listen to him all day if I wanted too! I can relate to being on a similar path with my own blog early on - the most important thing with writing is to write content you like even if it's not a ~popular~ topic, as long as you're happy with it, it'll show through your writing and the audience who's been looking for content like yours will find it :)

      Thanks so much for reading Natonya!

      Delete
  8. I don't like Ed Sheeran (I haven't even heard that song!) but I absolutely LOVE this post! It's so important to be yourself - whatever that means. Because it really shows if you're posting things you're not passionate about or just following the crowd for the sake of it! As a consumer of content as well, I personally am getting really bored with some Instagram creators because everything looks the same (flower displays, lavender fields etc). I mean, they're incredible photos but they're not drawing me in any more because they're SO popular that I've seen it 100 times before. Anyway, great post. It gave me a lot to think about!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great song!! Like the lyrics and everything about it 10/10 recommend giving it a listen :) Yes 100%! It's so important to write things your passionate about, not just following the crowd of ~popular topics~ it'll show through your writing if you're not 100% on what you're writing.

      YESSS I'm a bit half and half with instagram as a platform because all photos are all so similar and nothing looks ~original~, one Instagrammer that I absolutely love is hellomissjordan - her creativity for each photo is INSANE: https://www.instagram.com/hellomissjordan/

      Delete
  9. I relate SO much to this. I wish I could offer some solid helpful advice but unfortunately I'm currently in the exact same position! Good luck and I'm sure you're doing great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll find our wave soon!!! Good luck to you over on your end as well! Thanks so much for reading :)

      Delete
  10. I resonated with this post so much. With everything you should always do what makes you happy, what you enjoy and don't let anything get in your way because being yourself will always be enough.

    Love, Amie ❤

    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so important to always do something that contributes to your happiness, and that your inner happiness is always in a way protected. It's so important to be true yourself in everything - from blogging, to your professional life - because like you said, being yourself will always be enough ❤️

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  11. I like Ed Sheeran! Although I don't know many of his songs by name I'd probably know it of you played it. I can definitely relate to this post, especially the part where your talking about individuality, and even more so when it comes to blogging and social media.

    I don't have a niche either so my growth is also slow but, I love writing about what I love, so why would I ever change that? You should do what makes you happy.

    Kim || chimmyville.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY SOMEONE ELSE WHO LOVES ED SHEERAN! I'm the same, the title of the songs may escape me but! I'd know his music if was being played :)

      YES - although not having a niche means at times growth may be slow but I'd rather be 100% happy with what I write from history crash courses to lifestyle reflections than be 50% happy with my content and growing an audience based on content that I'm not all fully content with. I'd never change what I write about because at the end of the day - like you said - you should always do what makes you happy :)

      Delete
  12. I totally agree, focusing on a niche is a good idea to grow faster and also find other bloggers to collab with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I definitely can see that - when you have a niche your readers know what to expect from you content wise but it can at times feel a bit constraining only being able to write about one topic only - from my personal experience I really like to branch out across different topics!

      Delete
  13. Personality and individuality . .. I feel they make a person who they are. While it is better to have a niche to grow in, I have always liked being different with my views and in general as I live my life. And being different for me has nothing to do with race or color; it is just me.

    Being new and apart from the masses, I think, lends a fresh set of eyes to things. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've personally started out with a niche - sort of - in the beginning and as I grew as a blogger, I just really liked branching out and not just staying in one niche :)

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  14. I really really connect with this! I'm going through an identity crisis which is probably the best way to describe it? I think lol but as I see people getting on in life etc... doing near enough the same thing, full time jobs, marriage etc..m and I'm still not sure where my life is going, I can't seem to find my flow. And as for Instagram and blogging, I must see the same photo or post with slight adjustments but basically a carbon copy, inspiration can be found anywhere but when it looks the same as the last persons, it's no longer inspiration, it looks more like copying. I say I'm a lifestyle blogger but I write what I want, when I want, I don't feel like a lifestyle blogger completely but it's probably where I fit best tbh.

    Great post! Great read and very honest plus relatable.

    Jordanne || thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% relate to what you're saying it's kind of like life being at a standstill while everyone else is moving and found their ~wave~ while we're out here wave finding. It's helpful to remind that we're all on our different journeys - even if we are taking a bit longer to find our flow in life. YES YES YES - Instagram is very same-y, quite literally different bloggers but same photo type so nothing really stands out in terms of uniqueness or individuality.

      I also refer to myself as a lifestyle blogger as well! I write what I want whenever, that's probably like the one niche I loosely say I'm in - not sure if history crash courses fit into that lifestyle blogger niche haha.

      Thanks so much for reading Jordanne!

      Delete
  15. Hi, Sahara! I loved your post and I can relate to you a lot. I've had my blog for several years now and I just haven't grown it enough or as much as I would like. I also have this frustrating dilemma about being myself or being like everyone else. And this is actually really hard.

    xx. Norma
    http://normalinnet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma!! Thanks so much for reading, so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I think the most important thing is to be true to yourself and the content you are writing - not just following what everyone else is writing rather write about topics you personally enjoy - although growth may be slower, I'd say it's a lot more rewarding when you're writing content you yourself are happy with :)

      Delete