Too Much of Politics


Politics pretty much dominate every conversation - I can guarantee while you're scrolling on Twitter a political tweet is wedged in between a make-up tutorial and a look-book. If you follow me on Twitter, then that's probably me wedging myself in there; sprinkling some politics into your daily twitter scrolling.

If you asked me 2 years ago what the job of an Attorney General was, I probably would have laughed and said that wasn't in the terms of conditions of Knowledge-I-Have-To-Know before entering university. Fast-forward to the present: I can tell you that the Attorney General is the head of the Department of Justice, a person who is at the top of the pyramid for law enforcement and is essentially the lawyer for the government.

So, what's changed?

Well, Trump got elected and started taking the White House down like the Titanic. Now, it's an obligation to know the ins & out of what's happening in the political sphere. I no longer have the option to choose if I should do xyz or should I look into what's happening in Washington D.D at the Oval Office?

But, at times, it can get a bit too much.

If you follow me on Twitter, my entire page is just me reacting to things happening in politics & retweeting things happening in politics (with a sprinkle of athletics & humor). At times- due to following a lot of reporters - I know everything the second it happens. If Trump signed an Executive Order at 8:30AM chances are I know about it at 8:31AM.

Is this a good thing?
Yes.

Sometimes I find myself so invested in politics and I find myself thinking about something Hasan Minhaj said at the White House Correspondents Dinner* - he said to CNN that not everything is breaking news.
_____
White House Correspondents Dinner - marks the 100th Day of Presidency & is a dinner which is attended by the Media & The President (Trump did not attend)
_____
I've been treating everything Trump does as breaking news - which, let's be realistic, with his Executive Orders trampling on the Amendments everything becomes breaking news. I know everything that happens from interviews he's going to give & White House Officials speaking anonymously to the media. 

You know what else I know? Trump is on his 21st golf course visit since the start of his presidency. Is this breaking news? No, not really - other than seeing that taxpayer money is being used for golf, it's not all that extreme.

It's good to know everything that's happening but it's also good to take a breather. That's not me saying to drop your interest in politics on the side of the road and drive into the sunset. What I'm saying is that you should be informed on what's happening, but don't drown in the sea of politics.

Yes, pay attention to politics - considering politics shapes your life - but don't overload on it so that your brain power kind of crumbles. Let your brain b r e a t h e. If you decide to go for a run you don't need to be refreshing your twitter timeline while on the treadmill - it's going to be there when you get back. 

The most important thing is that you read about it; chances are by the time you get back from your run (or whatever it is you're doing) the story will be more developed.
_____

complete side note about Britain - HI REGISTER TO VOTE: Register to vote - GOV.UK






0 comments:

Post a Comment